Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DMX - too risky?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Luckysam28

Luckysam28

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

Hello,
For the longest time I have been having trouble with my wireless router. The settings were conflicting with my NAT, causing me to have "strict NAT." This became a problem because I use xbox live for multiplayer, and a strict NAT would not let me join people who had moderate or open NAT. After messing with my wireless settings and even resetting it once, I finally stumbled upon an easy fix to the problem - setting up a DMZ with the ip address of my xbox360. It worked with no troubles whatsoever, but I have heard that using a DMZ is very risky and opens your internet up to potential threats. Can anyone please shed some light on my situation, and possible suggest the best way to keep an open NAT?
Thanks,
LuckySam28

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:15 AM

If you are worried about DMZ why not do port forwarding instead?

By the way DMZ opens all the tcp/ip ports for the assigned IP address. Unless hackers use your Xbox as a medium to hack your network ( which I hight doubt ) then you are pretty safe.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#3 Luckysam28

Luckysam28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

Ah so you're saying that if I set up a dmz for the xbox's IP, only that IP address is affected. I wouldn't think anyone could hack through an xbox haha.

On the topic of port forwarding, something just didn't click for me. I tried researching and setting up port forwarding, but I would always manage to screw up. From what I had learned, I had to set up a static IP (instead of a dynamic one) and then use the /ipconfig data to set up the port forwarding in the router settings. I never got it to work, and the DMZ required only one input of the IP address and it was done. If there is a guide in here for port forwarding, or if you know what I'm doing wrong, I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
~Lucky

#4 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:59 AM

Yes DMZ only opens the ports for the DeMilitarized Zone device.

You might want to visit portforward.com for more information regarding port forwarding.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#5 Luckysam28

Luckysam28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

Alright, thank you!

~Lucky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users