Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo thinkpad/Vista can't activate wireless?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nbtech_2001

nbtech_2001

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:09 PM

Hi and thanks for looking this over.

I cannot activate my wireless in my Lenovo Thinkpad to pick up the signal in my home. I have tried Fn +F5 to activate it that way but to no avail?? I suspect maybe a virus or Malware because I was detected some weird things through a few scans although I'm not sure I removed everything completely. My post is in this forum to remove any possible reason that it may just be ME and I'm not doing things correctly to fire up this wireless signal. I should also mention that it's an internal antenna that came equipped when I bought the laptop.

I also receive a "Failed to connect to a windows service" that details my Radio is off. This should be the smoking gun right here although I am not able to turn it on?? The option button is there to turn it on but nothing happens?

Some Specs

-Windows Vista Home basic svc pack 1 (btw I hate Vista!!)
-intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN (The driver is out of date because the person I bought it for never updated it AND the wireless doesn't work)
-Driver date 8/28/2008 Version 12.1.0.14

I know that I should also probably download some drivers but how? I do have access to the internet on a desktop PC in my home.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:26 PM

The exact model number of the Thinkpad, please?

Wireless drivers from here.

Also, do refer to this article.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 29 July 2010 - 08:31 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 nbtech_2001

nbtech_2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:46 PM

It's an SL500..hope that helps..I'm going to through the article and try these drivers. Lets see what happens

#4 nbtech_2001

nbtech_2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:17 AM

K, so i downloaded the wireless driver on to the Lenovo and go this error" Error 1722 There is a problem with this windows installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected"

Could it be because of my transfer via CD-rw from my desktop over to the laptop? I made sure the entire driver file I downloaded was transferred and written to the CD, could I have messed up there or did something occur?

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

Just to be sure, try downloading the driver again (desktop), copy the file(s) to a USB/Flash drive and transfer the file to the laptop.

FYI, you need to be downloading one of these:
Posted Image

#6 nbtech_2001

nbtech_2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:25 AM

Well, I downloaded the correct driver through Firefox (Which doesn't give me the option to DL directly to my desktop) and then found the corresponding file in a download folder and copied it over to the CD. I then began the installation process on my laptop and went through all the motions until I got to a snag and an error. It told me "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable" and "Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "Intel PROset Wireless.msi in the box below" it then gives me the option to browse and find the "Use source" Which seems to be already highlighting a C:\Windows\Installer\_{52A7.....etc. I select and press Ok but am directed back to select again??

How important is it to DL the driver to my desktop then copy over to disk? I can just re-download Internet explorer to do this as Firefox does not allow me.

Edited by nbtech_2001, 01 August 2010 - 02:31 AM.

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

Well, the only reason for specifying the desktop is because it is easier to get to. :thumbsup:

You can make Firefox do just that: Open FF > Tools > Options > General > Downloads > Save files to DESKTOP

BTW, when you do select one of the downloads from the website, the page that follows includes a file (.txt) containing "installation" instructions. Do go through that.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 02 August 2010 - 06:45 PM.

#8 nbtech_2001

nbtech_2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

Ah ok, Just making sure that there were no erratic dll files being installed to unseen places. I guess then the full package of the downloaded driver and it's components are transferred over just fine. The problem now I guess would be within the laptop. It just won't install and gives me weird messages such as installation package missing I can try again and press further to get the message in detail. Although I should say that I was actually able to install the power monitor driver just fine?? Just having issues with installing this wireless driver, so my next post will be of the detailed message if you don't mind looking that over.

Thanks

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:41 PM

The problem now I guess would be within the laptop. It just won't install and gives me weird messages such as installation package missing I can try again and press further to get the message in detail. Although I should say that I was actually able to install the power monitor driver just fine?? Just having issues with installing this wireless driver, so my next post will be of the detailed message if you don't mind looking that over.

Thanks

sometimes...the driver package have missing their link to file that related with installing driver process...
if this happen you need to browse it manually...using search will great to finding the location of file that are missing...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#10 Oseyerus13

Oseyerus13

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:23 AM

One of my classmates had a very similar problem. For his, he was able to get it to install by flipping the switch on the side of the Thinkpad to turn off the wireless radio, reboot, and after restart flipping it back on. He was then able to get the drivers to install perfectly for some reason (don't ask me why). This was for the T61, tho. Does yours have the wireless switch somewhere on the laptop to disable/enable the wireless?

#11 nbtech_2001

nbtech_2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:56 PM

I will try these things and report back and yes, it does have the wireless switch on the front.

#12 nbtech_2001

nbtech_2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:00 PM

Yeah I tried these things and the specific message im receiving during installation of this driver is " The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable" below this message is " enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'intel proset wireless.msi' in the box below"

It then gives me the option to enter a "Use source" in a folder I have no idea that it needs?? Is this a windows Vista thing? I have never had to deal with an issue such as this with my windows xp drivers..This is so ridiculous :thumbsup:

#13 nbtech_2001

nbtech_2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:58 AM

Ok, so I no longer have a problem..I just wiped the harddrive and reinstalled windows vista. I saved applications and file through an external HD before and now everything is just fine :thumbsup: I just wish I didnt have to resort to that.

Edited by nbtech_2001, 15 August 2010 - 12:58 AM.

#14 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:03 AM

Well, it usually comes down to that, sooner or later. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users