Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Ever System Build - Please provide opinion

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 istbar

istbar

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

I posted this originally on tomshardware.com, using their recommended format for assistance; thought I'd throw the net into another river. Original post here. In the last 24 hours I've vastly increased my knowledge of modern components (taking said knowledge from basically zero up to noob :thumbsup:). All links go to newegg.ca. Let me have it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next month or so

BUDGET RANGE: $2000 before rebates; preferably including tax and S&H

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: CAD drafting (ACAD specifically) > gaming > internet/multimedia

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.ca, tigerdirect.ca

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: I think I've settled on the i7 930 over the Phenom II 965. It's pricier overall w/ MoBo, but it seems more future-proof, otherwise, not too particular re: brands, but I demand quality of product/service. I would prefer Mid-tower and if I can get a pretty decent system without spending the full 2 G's that would be great!

OVERCLOCKING: No / Maybe later

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No / Maybe later

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x1200 minimum

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Some buzz-words: reliable, quiet, multi-tasking capable, easy installation

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS IS MY FIRST EVER BUILD. I will have access to an experienced builder for troubleshooting, but I really would like to do it on my own. Please try to avoid products that are known to be finicky or more appropriate for vets.

I've taken a stab at selecting some components based on speed > positive user review > price.

CHASSIS: Not a super-critical part for me. I want something fairly well built and fairly easy to get along with.
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

The CPU/MoBo/RAM situation is nearly a complete mystery to me. I think I've found compatible products, but I don't know if they're more potent than I'll need, or whether they're even good choices. This is where I could use the most assistance!

CPU: Looking at Intel, but not sure if I need it. I want something that will last me and be at least a little useful in 3-5 years.
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

MoBo: I've read good things about Gigabyte & Asus. Same req'ts as the CPU. Fit a Mid-tower case.
ASUS Rampage III Gene LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory: Don't even get me started! Help!
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D

GPU: I like nVidia, I prefer EVGA, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. Open to commentary, though. I'd like to be able to double up sometime down the road; I think the MoBo, PSU and GPU are all SLI-ready (right?!).
EVGA 01G-P3-1465-AR GeForce GTX 465 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU: At a loss here; everything seems to be the same. Looking for the best quality/value. Heard good things about Corsair.
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

HARD DRIVE - I want to go the SSD boot, regular HDD storage rout. Not PRECISELY sure how to go about it, but I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out ;P

SSD Boot: Not a clue about this type of product. New to me, but I've heard great things. Any thoughts on Corsair SSD's? Feel free to comment.
Corsair Force CSSD-F60GB2-BRKT 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

HDD Storage: Just looking for reliable, fast and quiet. Primarily for media storage and application install.
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Optical Drive: Again, not a biggie. I want a reliable, quiet drive that won't cry when I rip DVDs.
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

OS: I think I'm finally ready to let go of my beloved/hated WinXP. I could use some guidance with the version selection. I believe all the components I selected will work with 64 bit; not even sure if that's an issue.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Total is $1637 ($1873 after S&H and tax - stupid HST!!). I've laid out my requirements and first crack, now I leave it up to the masters to set me straight! :D

Anywhere you feel I can get away with a lesser product (less speed/size, not quality), let me know. Also, I did not touch upon the CPU cooler or fans. I'm hoping I don't need to upgrade the stock products as I'm not OC'ing and I won't be doing any extensive gaming (I'll be cracking out on SC2 and D3 when it comes out, of course :huh: ); but please set me straight if need be.

Thanks all!

Edited by istbar, 29 July 2010 - 04:15 PM.

'You tried and you failed. The lesson is never try.'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:55 PM

I think I would go with a full ATX motherboard, it allows better cooling and better future and expansion, but the one you got for a micro is a good board. Overall looks like a decent system to me.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:19 PM

There is a reason that there are GTX 465s sitting on the shelves, and the GTX 460 (1 gig) is out of stock.

The GTX 460 is very close to the GTX465 in performance, runs cooler, is quieter, and uses a lot less wattage, oh, and cheaper. Just make sure to get the 1gig version.

Otherwise no real negatives, although I agree with the patriot09 about the motherboard. Full size ATX is the better choice and it will fit your case fine.

Edited by dpunisher, 29 July 2010 - 07:19 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Jaguar45

Jaguar45

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

I would highly recommend a full size motherboard, and specifically not the RAMPAGE, as that is an enthusiast overclocking board - although I agree that ASUS and Gigabyte are my favorite brands, in that order, with MSI being tied with Gigabyte.

Motherboard recommendation: ASUS P6X58D - a newer revision of the awesome P6 line, includes USB 3.0
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16813131641

Case: You might want to get the Antec Nine Hundred Two, rather than the Three Hundred. Only slightly larger, it has improved airflow, bigger fans, and a revised internal mounting system for drives.

Memory: I'd personally stay away from the Corsair Dominators, as they are overpriced for their specs. The OCZ Platinum memory DIMMs are of the same high quality, have lifetime warranty, faster CAS timings at the same speed, and are substantially cheaper.
Searching Newegg, I had trouble finding a three-stick kit, but you could get two 2 x 2GB kits for the same price as the Dominators you selected
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16820227572 (only use three of the sticks, however, as if you put all 4 in you will throw off the triple-channel controller).
Alternately, get the OCZ Gold, which have the same speed and CAS as the Dominators (slightly slower timings than the Platinum), but cheapest of the three
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16820227365

When we come to the graphics card, I have a question: Just how secondary are games going to be? What type of ACAD do you do, i.e. 2D plans and elevations, or 3D renders? This seems like a serious machine, and if you're going to be doing 3D CAD work as the primary use of the machine, I think it would make sense to get a Quadro rather than a consumer graphics card.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:09 PM

I just noticed your monitor resolution in your initial post, that is determined by your monitor and not the GPU, but your GPU should be powerful enough to run it. Also, keep in mind that the socket LGA 1366, which is what your motherboard uses and your CPU is, will be replaced next year by LGA 2011 and may not be backwards compatible, thus limiting your future upgrade posibilities. The LGA 1366 Intel CPU's are considered high-end, so if you're aiming for an upscale i7 system, you're stuck with that soon-to-be-outdated socket. You could use an AMD system, specifically the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz AM3 IF you are running applications that can take advantage of six cores. I'm not sure if CAD software will take advantage of four cores, most games don't. Keep in mind that AMD will also be having a socket refresh from the AM3, which is what their current generation CPU's use, to the AM3r2. AMD has a history of backwards compatibility, but they haven't released much information on the new socket even though the name of it indicates it is very similar to current sockets and AM3r2 CPU's can physically fit into AM3 sockets when they are out. If you want to stick with the LGA 1366 system, you could get a less expensive motherboard and save some cash, like the ASRock X58 Extreme 3 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. If you have the cash, look into getting an MSI R5850 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB which is faster, cooler, draws less power, and quieter than the GTX 465, but a little more expensive. You also probably don't need Windows 7 Professional and can make do with Home Premium, unless you have very specific business uses, such as EFS and location aware printing. To view the differences in a helpful, easy-to-read chart, see this. As a suggestion for high-end graphics cards, do not get a mid-ATX case as they lack the depth needed to run the big graphics cards or SLI/Crossfire with reasonable cooling. A full ATX case would be best. The Broadway Com Corp R-810 Black thick Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case is the cheapest case, though, expect the shipping costs to match the price of the case. The Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-US-BA-WOPSU Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case is reasonably priced with decent shipping, though it is a tacky case. The COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP is a nice case, though pricey. The COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP is my personal favorite, but it is even more expensive.

Edited by DJBPace07, 29 July 2010 - 11:15 PM.

3939.png

#6 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:37 AM

as for a case you could also go this full tower the full tower antec http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...9-043-_-Product

and it only has $5 shipping which is a plus and it has extreme cooling

#7 istbar

istbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for the detailed responses guys! I knew I could trust the BC forums to come to the rescue.

So, it looks like a response that I included did not stick...odd that.

I think I'm down to the case now :thumbsup:

I love the look of the Cooler Master Cosmos: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16811119138 but it's HUGE! As awesome as it would be to have all that space and tech I can't believe I need to move into something that monstrous.

What do you guys think about this?
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/sea...ey=ultra%20m998
I really like the idea of the power distribution board and the removable MoBo bracket. Know anything similar that's better +/or cheaper?

Thanks!
'You tried and you failed. The lesson is never try.'

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:10 PM

I have this case here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...9-137-_-Product its a bit big for an ATX but you can get a customizable side panel for it thats see through.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

Full ATX cases, like the Cosmos, are designed for multi-GPU setups or for situations where you need plenty of cooling or loads of components. Graphics cards are very large at the high-end. The GTX 465 is about ten inches long and the Radeon 5870 is at 11 inches. If you want to use Crossfire or SLI, the added room inside the case will allow for good airflow to keep components cool. I have a Mid-ATX case for a second PC I have, like the one in your Tiger Direct link but a Lian-Li case, and my GeForce 9800 GTX (Also 10.5 inches) in my gaming build will not fit inside of it. There simply is no room unless I want to remove the hard drive cage. Keep in mind that cases which have side vents or windows will be louder than those that do not. As a friendly reminder to posters, the OP is in Canada so Newegg.com will not work, go to Newegg.ca. On the Canadian site, Blaze's case, the Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case, is good, but I would imagine loud.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users