Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ATcow

ATcow

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:37 AM

Hello,

I did a search on BC and google but so far haven't found a solution.

I am experiencing a weird problem with the windows start menu / quick launch. I am unable to launch programs even though I can highlight and select them. The only way to fix it is if I reset the system but then after a day or two the problem appears again.

Could this be a problem with lack of resources/ memory?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:29 AM

Just so I understand:

How are you launching your programs? With shortcuts on your desktop that you click on? Or when you say 'highlight and select them' are you talking about going into Start > All Programs? Both methods fail?

Also, how much memory do you have installed on this machine? Start > Right click on My Computer > Properties

This could very well be as a result of a malware infection. Can you tell us what Anti Virus you have (if any) and if it is up to date. And also tell us what Anti-Spyware you have (if any) and if it is up to date.

One more thing: If you have Anti Virus and Anti Spyware, when did you install them, before or after the problem started?

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 25 October 2005 - 06:35 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 ATcow

ATcow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 02:40 PM

Just so I understand:

How are you launching your programs? With shortcuts on your desktop that you click on? Or when you say 'highlight and select them' are you talking about going into Start > All Programs? Both methods fail?

Also, how much memory do you have installed on this machine? Start > Right click on My Computer > Properties

This could very well be as a result of a malware infection. Can you tell us what Anti Virus you have (if any) and if it is up to date. And also tell us what Anti-Spyware you have (if any) and if it is up to date.

One more thing: If you have Anti Virus and Anti Spyware, when did you install them, before or after the problem started?

Hi Albert Frankenstien,

Thanks for your reply. I'll try my best to clarify the problems.

Launching programs work when I click on the desktop shortcuts as well as the quicklaunch area that can be seen readily at the lower left hand corner beside the start button.

Going to the start menu > all programs > then the program does not work. I can highlight the program and click but it no go. The quick launch area which is not seen ie requires a popup menu with list of programs is even worse. The list of programs flashes briefly and disappears. I can't even bring up the list to highlight and launch.

I do scan my system regulary using Panda Antivirus online and occasionaly with Trendmicro's only scan. Other than the occasional datamining cookie I have not come across any other form of malware.

From what I gather, I must be 'leaking memory' resources somehow. It seems to be mainly affecting menus that 'pop up' on the desktop. My machine (Windows 2003) has 1Gig physical memory so that shouldn't be a problem. ARe there any settings for GUI memory allocation or something similar that I might increase to see if it helps?

Thanks!!

Edited by ATcow, 25 October 2005 - 02:41 PM.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 05:13 AM

From what I gather, I must be 'leaking memory' resources somehow

Well, I am curious why you think so. Is it just from the symptoms or is there another reason?

I am not a programming expert, but my limited knowledge in these things tells me that if you are experiencing 'memory leak' than it is from running a 'defective' program. So the next logical question would be: What programs are you running? Could one of them be the culprit? Are you thinking that Windows is the culprit? Does this happen after you run one specific program?

You may need to document what programs you are running and notice when you start to experience problems.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users