Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Website Registration

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 claire88

claire88

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:36 AM

hiya

my friend had a website set up for her (shes a music artist so is for her fans to visit) by a guy who charged her quite a bit and is now not updating the site etc. She wants to be able to take over the website from him - what information does she need to get from him so that she can get someone else to take over the work. She paid for the domain name etc and so wants to keep the same one rather than just setting up a new one.

dont know if ive worded this very well, but basically, does she need a username, password etc to be able to access the site in order to make changes?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:11 AM

Is the site in her name or his name?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 claire88

claire88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:59 AM

i think its in his name (or his businesses' name). He said that otherwise it would have her home address posted on the internet. Dont know how accurate that is!

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:47 PM

Most hosting companies will contact the current host and make arrangment to transfer. There are solutions to hide your name and address from the public. If she is in buiness the simplest way would be to put it in the companies name and rent a PO box.

#5 claire88

claire88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:52 PM

So (stupid question) but what exactly (information-wise) would she need to ask for from the guy? Hes dragging his heels a bit as hes upset shes going elsewhere, even though its because hes been ripping her off and not returning calls etc!!!!

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:03 PM

I recommend going to this place Internic and typing in her web site. Leave off the www. and enter hersite.com or whatever suffix she uses. See if they list her as the site owner. If they do all she needs to do is contact the new hosting company. They will do the rest. If she does not still contact the new hosting company and see if they can suggest how to wrestle she site back from the current hosting company.
If the price is fair, he just won't update her site you may want to check with the local high school or VoTech (Trade School) to see if they will update the site as a part of real world training for their students. You know, like auto mechanics in high school.
Lastly (and the most involved) you could file a dispute with ICANN . In this link near the bottom of the page look for this,"Someone else has registered my company's name as a domain name. What is the process for resolving my complaint?".
Let us know how it is going every few days.

Edited by acklan, 25 October 2005 - 08:04 PM.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:10 PM

Oh yeah. If the domain is in her name he has no choice. She can switch without his permission.

#8 claire88

claire88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:54 AM

Domain Name: SUMANB.COM
Registrar: COMPUTER SERVICES LANGENBACH GMBH DBA JOKER.COM
Whois Server: whois.joker.com
Referral URL: http://www.joker.com
Name Server: NS.ADDR.COM
Name Server: NS2.ADDR.COM
Updated Date: 01-jun-2005
Creation Date: 27-may-2005
Expiration Date: 27-may-2007

ok, this is the information it gave me, so it looks like the domain name is not in her name. What is 'registrar-lock'?

sorry to be such a pain with this Acklan, i really appreciate your help :thumbsup:

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:38 PM

You are not a pain. I am glad I can help. It looks like he put it in his name. I would find someone I wanted to host it and let them try to aquire it from him. Her next step would be to submit a complaint to ICANN and attempt to prove it is her domain. In the end she may have to pick a new domain.

#10 claire88

claire88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:06 AM

hiya, he has said he will swap the domain name into hers. here is a copy of an email he sent - is there anything else she needs?

Im afraid we must do this on your behalf this standard procedure for editing the ownership details for Generic Top Level Domains such as .com
Please look at the following link which verifies this http://www.lcn.biz/faq/faqc2q22.html
Also please note that paper based Certificates are no longer issued i have attached the PDF of the certificate generated by the registrar.

We cannot give you our username and password for the domain name as this is our main account in which all our domains are held not just yours.

Also there is a 10 + VAT fee for this transfer

thanks again

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:45 AM

We cannot give you our username and password for the domain name as this is our main account in which all our domains are held not just yours.

Also there is a 10 + VAT fee for this transfer

thanks again

If he says so. I have had as many as four active domains at one time and each had it's own user name and password.
You will be rid of him soon enough so just grin and bare it.
I hope I was of some help.

#12 claire88

claire88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 03:21 PM

thanks for all your time and help :thumbsup:

#13 acklan