Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Pro fails with Ubuntu 10/04 release version

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wired_retired

wired_retired

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:03 AM

I have Windows 7 Pro on my main HD. The system is stable, runs perfectly and all programs run fine. I installed Ubuntu 10.04 release version on a secondary HD. I disconnected the Windows drive to install Ubuntu and reconnected it after installation. But since then Windows became more and more unstable. Applications like messenger and hotmail did not always start, or if they did they sometimes locked up. IE8 sometimes would not start, sometimes lock up. The pc would run slowly, lockup or not even start up. Eventually even after starting Windows it would shut down and memory checking would start. In the end it would only boot into Ubuntu and when I checked in setup the Windows HD was not recognised in the BIOS. So I gave up and disconnected the Ubuntu HD. Result is that Windows loads, runs and operates perfectly as before. I have checked most things and all appears OK.
If I disconnect the Windows drive and connect the Ubuntu drive that runs apparently OK. All programs run OK. It updates OK, and no error messages appear.
If both OS's run normally individually, is the problem more likely to be the setup of my pc's hardware rather than an OS problem. I don't need to run Linux and I am quite happy not to use it, but I was not aware that it could upset Windows quite so dramatically.
Browser Name: Microsoft Internet Explorer ver. 8.0

Browser & OS: (Major & Minor Version Information)
4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; InfoPath.3; .NET4.0C)

Screen Resolution: 1152 x 720
Color Depth: undefined
Java Enabled: true

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:46 AM

I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 running perfect, side by side on the same drive, just different partitions.

I would think you shouldn't have disconnected the Windows drive, because when you installed Ubuntu, Grub2 would need to be able to see any other operating systems, so you would be able to dual boot.

Do not know if that was what affected your Windows tho...

#3 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 running perfect, side by side on the same drive, just different partitions.

I would think you shouldn't have disconnected the Windows drive, because when you installed Ubuntu, Grub2 would need to be able to see any other operating systems, so you would be able to dual boot.

It won't. Windows 7 cannot read ext4 volumes.

#4 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

It won't. Windows 7 cannot read ext4 volumes.

Yeah, I know that, but I was more leading to the fact that Grub should have written over the mbr, but with the drive disconnected, it would not be able to. And since Windows cant read ext3 or ext4 volumes, there is no way for him to dual boot.
I think he needs to reinstall Grub, with the Windows drive connected, then everything should work together as it should.

#5 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

Yeah, I know that, but I was more leading to the fact that Grub should have written over the mbr, but with the drive disconnected, it would not be able to. And since Windows cant read ext3 or ext4 volumes, there is no way for him to dual boot.
I think he needs to reinstall Grub, with the Windows drive connected, then everything should work together as it should.

He disconnected the Windows "drive" when he installed Ubuntu. At that point it would depend on his BIOS settings to point which drive to load off of.

How he has done it is not the ideal way to dual boot.

#6 wired_retired

wired_retired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

Thank you both for that.
Do you both agree that I should have left the Windows HD connected when I installed Ubuntu?
And that I should reinstall Grub2 to sort it out?

4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; InfoPath.3; .NET4.0C)

#7 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:24 PM

He disconnected the Windows "drive" when he installed Ubuntu. At that point it would depend on his BIOS settings to point which drive to load off of.

How he has done it is not the ideal way to dual boot.

Exactly... but then when he connected both drives, could it have confused the bios somehow, and cause the erratic behavior? (not knowing whether to look at Windows mbr or Grub)

That is why I think he needs to reinstall Grub, so it will overwrite Windows MBR.

#8 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:24 PM

Thank you both for that.
Do you both agree that I should have left the Windows HD connected when I installed Ubuntu?
And that I should reinstall Grub2 to sort it out?

Unless you have data on the Ubuntu install, go ahead and wipe that drive. Then install Ubuntu while the both drives are connected. Here is a good guide: http://lifehacker.com/5403100/dual+boot-wi...perfect-harmony

#9 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:36 PM

You can reinstall Ubuntu, or if you want to try just reinstalling Grub2, then go to this link and scroll down to Reinstalling from LiveCD.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling from LiveCD

But yes... with Windows drive attached, let Grub write to that drive where the master boot record is.

Edited by AustinTerry, 29 July 2010 - 12:39 PM.

#10 wired_retired

wired_retired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

OK will try that thanks.

#11 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

WAIT! I have an idea... before you do that, try using easyBCD first and see if it will allow you to dual boot.
It is actually a pretty amazing program.

EasyBCD

Go to the bottom of the screen for the download button.

Edited by AustinTerry, 29 July 2010 - 12:44 PM.

#12 wired_retired

wired_retired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:46 PM

Right thanks. I'll have a read at them all and try them out.
I'll report back as and when.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users