Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen In Normal Mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 7Mozart7

7Mozart7

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:32 AM

Hi people,

OK, I get the dreaded black screen every time I try to boot up in normal mode. A quick summary of what happened before I re-booted & saw the black screen...

I had a few Firefox windows open, then suddenly, the Firefox windows basically froze up. I could move my cursor, but it wouldn't acknowledge any links, meaning I couldn't click on anything. The windows themselves wouldn't move either, just frozen in place

I then re-booted. At first my "Start" & the normal icons on the taskbar (or whatever you call it) were usable, but the desktop wouldn't appear, just a black screen. I re-booted again & that time I couldn't use my "Start" or any icons , as the cursor simply makes a circle motion, not allowing me to click on anything there. It's been doing that now every time I try to boot up, black screen, cursor circling

I can get to my desktop in Safe Mode. Everything seems to work in that mode. I've read numerous accounts of people having the same problems on other forums, but the causes & fixes seem to be in the thousands

Does anyone here know about this & have any advice/fixes?

Thank you in advance for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:29 PM

First thing I would do, is make sure it is not Malware related. I have worked on several machines that had similar problems and was cleared up once I cleaned all the malware off.

Try starting a new topic in the Am I Infected forum, and after they help you out, and if you still have the same problem, then we can go from there...

#3 7Mozart7

7Mozart7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for responding

I already ran Malwarebytes & it found nothing. I heard Malware was a pretty good product

As I've been researching the problem, one solution that sounds feasible is deleting "C:\Windows\System32\winevt" log folder. Is this safe to do? Do I need those log folders?

If it's safe & I don't need them, I'd like to try that & see if it fixes the problem. I really need my computer for work related things & this is a major problem

Thanks again for any help

#4 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:10 PM

I would not delete anything unless you know absolutley what is is and what is for.
Don't think C:\Windows\System32\winevt is a log file anyway, but I could be wrong. Usually log files are .txt and would not create a problem since it is just text.

#5 7Mozart7

7Mozart7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

Well, I didn't find a fix for my problem, but I finally found a way around it...

After doing exhausting research on this subject & trying endless fixes to no avail, I finally found something that got me back to my desktop. I simply made a new account for my computer. After I did that, it made a new desktop for that account. Granted, it's a pain having to go to all my usual sites & re-entering passwords & the like, but I didn't have to re-install Vista & all my software, programs, etc. are still on my computer. Plus, no more "Black Screen of Death"

It now seems it was a registry problem. I cannot believe Microsoft didn't have a more complete troubleshooting guide & fixes for this problem since, after researching it, I found it affected a massive number of people, going back for years. You'd think with the money they make off of us, they could be a little more on the ball

If anyone else has this problem, I'd suggest doing what I did first. Save yourselves the huge headache of trying to determine the problem & the fix

I'm not %100 sure I'm in the clear yet, as I've only logged on a few times, but it's been OK so far

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users