Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wavy Blue Lines and Wavy Yellow

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Requiem7

Requiem7

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:55 AM

A few Months ago I started getting wavy blue lines on my desktop computer. I could be surfing the net, playing an online game, or like today yellow wavy lines show up and the only thing I was doing was downloading files to my computer. When this problem first started I would just restart the computer and the problem would go away. As the months went on the problem would get worst and restarting of the computer once didn't fix the problem, I had to to restart it a few times sometimes shutting the computer off for awhile and coming back and logging on again and the problem would be gone. There would be times when I start the computer up while booting the screen will have all sort of numbers, letters, smiling faces and the computer couldn't load windows it would just restart itself. I thought I had a computer virus so I did detail scan-nothing and I also did a malware scan-did find some stuff but it didn't fix the problem.

The other day I did a clean install of my computer and I'm still getting these blue wavy and now yellow lines. I made sure windows was fully updated. I deleted the display driver and reinstall and I'm still having the same problem but much worst on start up the screen is full of letters smiley faces or it has these white lines like static (snow). I hook another computer screen to the computer and I still have the same problem. I made sure that the computer video card was install in it's slot and made sure nothing else was loose. Still the same problem. I'm guess that the video card is damage and needs to be replace. So what should I do try a new video card or just get a new computer?

Computer System:
Alienware AREA-51 7500-R4 -(almost 5 years old)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Processor: Intel® Core™2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz 2133/266mhz
Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE 7950 GT 512MB PCIE

Can someone please help me?

Thanks,
Phillip

Edited by hamluis, 29 July 2010 - 12:19 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware forum ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

I think between yours VGA or monitor that cause that problem and need to be replace...
try your VGA/monitor on another computer and see if that problem happen in another computer...and please do it one by one...plug your vga on another computer and see what happen...and plug your monitor on computer (with different VGA)...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 Requiem7

Requiem7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:31 AM

I think between yours VGA or monitor that cause that problem and need to be replace...
try your VGA/monitor on another computer and see if that problem happen in another computer...and please do it one by one...plug your vga on another computer and see what happen...and plug your monitor on computer (with different VGA)...

Hi,
Thanks for responding but I'm not sure what you mean by VGA?

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:40 AM

sorry...
I think you know VGA (Video Graphic Adapter)

you could see where your monitor cable plugged to...there will you VGA (cards or integrated)...

#5 Requiem7

Requiem7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:46 AM

sorry...
I think you know VGA (Video Graphic Adapter)

you could see where your monitor cable plugged to...there will you VGA (cards or integrated)...

Oh ok, only problem is I don't have another computer in my house except for my laptop to try it with. Is there away to do it with my laptop?

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:29 PM

some laptop could have a VGA port and some doesnt have it...
please check your laptop is there any VGA port...if you doesnt know which is it...you could check where your monitor cable plugged to cpu...

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:50 PM

Also make sure you are not experiencing an over-heating issue.

Sometimes when parts start heating up beyond their safe temperature levels, things start to act up.

Restarting a computer allows time for things to cool off a bit, before they reach that unsafe level again.

So I would consider checking the inside of the computer for dust buildup, if found, its time for a cleaning.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 Requiem7

Requiem7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

Hi Guys,

I did what you said abauw and everything seem to worked fine on the laptop so I went back to my deskstop and did as you said MrBruce1959 and made sure the computer was dust free etc. and so far everything seems to be working fine so keep your fingers cross. I think it may have been an over heating issue the computer was on for a few days straight re-loading windows and all my other files and those other times I think there was some heat issues. Thank you both for your help, I will let you know if anything else happens.

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:08 PM

Glads to hear your problem solved :thumbsup:

if you having same problem again in the future...maybe you need to replace your VGA...maybe your VGA have artefact...although overheat you have mention...I think you will have that problem again in near future...

but lets hope thats not to happens :flowers:

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

You are most welcomed for my help, it is my pleasure to help you. :thumbsup:

Good luck and hope all works out well for you. :flowers:

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 Requiem7

Requiem7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

WEll, guys I spoke too soon it did it again and this wasn't a heat issues I TRIED other VGA but it's not working, I really think it's the video card.

#12 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

if your VGA have fan on it...
please take look first...if yes...please your turn computer and check does that fan spinning or not...if not that means your VGA is overheat....you could replace the fan...but according your information...its happen a few month...maybe your VGA chip has defective...

but lets try some test with a small fan...direct the fan to your VGA...but dont to close and try to not touching something (small fan and computer) and turn on your computer...do a heavy load (open gaming or photo software)....and see what happen...try turn off for a while and turn on it again...if you have vga tester software you could try it

but try to save money for buy a new VGA...I think your VGA chip has defective (artefak)
but after you buy a new VGA...please run some test on it...because new vga doesnt mean not defective/artefak...if still new you could gets replacement new VGA card...if after a few month maybe you only gets some service on your VGA....

#13 Requiem7

Requiem7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:07 PM

Hi,
I tried using the D-sub (Analog) connector to the video card and so far no problems. I've been gaming and so far no problems, I did buy a new video card but have not install it if this connection works then I will return the video card in a few days.

#14 Requiem7

Requiem7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

Well, problem seems to be now the screen freeze up now. sigh... I just don't know what to do anymore.

#15 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:47 PM

well...
you could try to install new card and see whats happen...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users