Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lots of questions. Sorry!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:24 AM

I have just had a new PC (A) , built for me. I forgot to ask for wireless facility though I have two other PC's ( B and C) downstairs that have a wireless connection. I access my server through a Local Connection, which is actually faster than my old wireless one.

I now need an all- in- one printer to replace my Canon Pixma ip8500. This has been repaired once and needs attention again, which I am loath to get as I think it might be better to spend money on a new all- in- one instead.

The new printer would be installed upstairs where I keep A!

Question 1: Can a wireless all- in- one be attached to a USB port? (Do forgive my ignorance). It would work with B and C obviously.-

Question 2: These days all- in- ones come at reasonable prices. (My Canon printer was quite expensive). I used to print off lots of images. Now I would prefer to tackle the odd one, plus birthday cards (!), and order photos from a professional source.
Do you have any favourites you can recommend, please? I read reviews but I know that recommendations from users are often a better source of information. Personally, I like either Epson or Canon printers.

I look forward to reading what you have to say and thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Reena (UK)

A runs Windows 7
B and C run Windows XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:15 PM

1. USB would be the primary mode of connection for the printer, with the wireless transmission being an added feature.
So the printer will initially be detected by A (through USB) and by the other PCs, which are B & C (through Wi-fi).

Between the two, it has to be Canon!
I have an old PIXMA All-in-one that I still use.

Good luck!

Edited by ReviverSoft, 29 July 2010 - 09:16 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:17 AM

Thank you, ReviverSoft.

I now need to check on Canon models.

#4 ReviverSoft