Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive capacity shrank from 160 GB to 7GB out of nowhere

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Stalos

Stalos

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:08 AM

Hello all

So, My Maxtor 4R160L0 160 GB IDE hard drive did this odd thing about a few days ago, at least I think it was a few days ago. I have two hard drives, an 80GB where I keep Windows and smaller programs, and 160GB drive that I keep video games on. Yesterday I went to open a game on my Maxtor 4R160L0 drive, only to get errors. When I when to open the folder to see if I could suss out the problem, I found the entire drive had seemingly been wiped and needed reformatting. I assumed all the data was gone and just reformatted it. After doing so I saw my previously 160GB drive was now a meager 7GB. What happened? It this just a sign that this hard drive is broken, or is there a way to possibly fix this.

Also, another thing about this incident. Right now I probably only access the games on that hard drive about once every week and a half and otherwise pay no attention to this additional drive, so I don't actually know when this hard drive went crazy. It happened recently, but how recently, or what events could have occurred to lead up to this, I can't say. I will say I don't remember anything unusual or odd happening.

Finally, when I did a Belarc scan of my computer to get the name of the drive, Belarc said the hard drive was 'healthy'. I downloaded SeaTool, but this program simply gave me an error right as I started to run it.

P.S. My 80 SATA drive works just fine, but neither my Computer nor Belarc seems to pick it up. Specifically, I can't find it under my hard drive lists in windows, and belarc tabulates the memory this drive adds to my grand total, but it doesn't list its name or details. Why is this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bfordz

bfordz

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

Is your Maxtor still being seen in your Bios?

What version of SeaTools are you using? Windows or Dos?
I prefer the dos bootable cd (ISO) version; you boot from the CD, eliminating the system booting the HDD and SeaTools should see both hdd's. Then you can pick which drive you want to run diagnostics on.

"My 80 SATA drive works just fine, but neither my Computer nor Belarc seems to pick it up."

Does that mean you can't see your 80gig drive either?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users