Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help with Dell CPU Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Geodude

Geodude

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:48 AM

I've searched the boards and still cannot get a definitive answer to my question, so here goes: I've successfully upgraded my Dell Inspiron 530 to 4 gigs RAM (yes, I'm aware I can only use 3.3 Gigs), have a GeForce 8400 GS video, and also upgraded the bios to the latest version which supports most dual-core cpu's (1.0.18) with no problems. I have the 0RY007 mobo (as opposed to the "other 530 mobo which supports quad-cores) and a 1.8 GHz E2160 cpu, and want to upgrade it to the E7500.

Other topics ( including http://en.community.dell.com/support-forum...2/19712175.aspx ) have mentioned the E7400, E8400, and E8500, but I can get my hands on an inexpensive E7500. Foxconn's site (Dell's mobo manufacturer for my system) shows my Mobo as accepting an "Engineering Sample" E7500 with a pass, but apparently a "regular" (retail?) version was not tested. Will my system handle the E7500 OK, or does it have some unique "problem" as far as the upgrade goes (I see that it does have a higher multiplier than all of the other compatible cpu's)? The E7500 seems to be conspicuously absent from all upgrade lists, with most other dual cores being on the list.

I've talked to several Dell tech support people and they can't tell me with certainty if this E7500 upgrade will work, so thanks for any clarification you can provide!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:52 PM

Im not sure I could either. I would say theres a high chance it would, and if you can get the CPU with a return policy, I would say go for it, that way if it don't work you can return it. If It doesn't have a return policy, I think I would spend the extra money on a CPU thats garenteed to work, intel motherboards are notoriously picky about what CPUs will and won't work.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:45 PM

In agreement with what the_patriot09 suggested and referring to link you had specified, the motherboard *should* support the E7500 after a BIOS upgrade.

One of the primary features of a BIOS upgrade, is to introduce support for newer processors.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users