Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tracking Cookies.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KISNA

KISNA

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:39 PM

Every time I run ad-aware SE, it seems that it finds tracking cookies (critical objects), I delete it each time and they keep coming back on each run. Even when I do back to back runs. What gives ? I feel unconfortable knowing I have tracking cookies.

Also spybot never seems to find anything. I also have spywareblaster which is updated.

Edited by KISNA, 24 October 2005 - 10:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:41 AM

Evrything given its due, tracking cookies are the least harmful problems you can have. However, you can adjust your browser settings to either block cookies or to ask permission each time to install them; the latter option will allow you to decide which to install depending on your trust of the particular site you are visiting so that Ad-AwareSE has little to do when it runs.
I use Mozilla and regularly review its cookie manager to remove any from untrusted sites.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:28 AM

I use Mozilla and regularly review its cookie manager to remove any from untrusted sites.
Regards,
John

Can you tell me how to do that ? Thanks. :thumbsup:

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:39 PM

For Mozilla, go to Tools (on the top bar), click on Cookie Manager, then highlight and choose "manage stored cookies." Result: a dialogue box pops up and shows all cookies currently stored by Mozilla. Clicking on any will provide additional information about its origin should you need it. You have the option to remove each one (or all- - -something I don't recommend) and a second tab to allow/prevent entire sites from using cookies.
Edit/Preferences/Privacy/Cookies will also allow you to disable or enable all cookies, etc., or have Mozilla ask before permitting a cookie.

For FIREFOX, go to Tools/ Options/Privacy/ Cookies. Again, you can do permissions by site or by each one. I generally check "allow site to set cookies" AND "from orginating site only."

Hope this helps,
John

#5 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:16 AM

Thanks John. :thumbsup:

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:51 AM

I should like to say that different companies will have different criteria for what is, or is not, a tracking cookie. Even though Ad-Aware may present some for removal, it is best to review each one, since some of these cookies are very important to accessing a site. If you trust the site, and trust that it only provides third parties with aggregated information, then you can elect not to delete its cookies.
Cheers,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users