Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OKAY TO USE SWIFFER DRY CLOTHS TO CLEAN INSIDE COMPUTER?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ooweirdoo

ooweirdoo

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:18 PM

I'm guessing it uses some sort of static to suck up the dust so I'm wondering if it would cause problems to the hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:33 PM

I wouldn't risk using it on the inside of the computer, but using it on the case is fine. If you wanna clean the inside, use compressed air.

EDIT: fixed grammar error

Edited by MadDawg, 28 July 2010 - 11:45 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 ooweirdoo

ooweirdoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

Yeah... the hardest part though is the cpu fan
There is always dust stuck on the bars which make it really hard to clean and reach

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

I wouldnt, instead go down to your local computer shop or electronics section of your local wal mart and pick up a can of compressed air, and use that to blow it out. Remember to use short bursts, hold that thing down to long and moisture will condense on your parts.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:09 AM

I wouldn't risk using it on the inside of the computer, but using it on the case is fine. If you wanna clean the inside, use compressed air.

EDIT: fixed grammar error

I agree. Only use compressed air. Do not use a vacuum cleaner either.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:39 AM

Here is a safe method to remove dust from your computer.

First and one of the most important is to ground yourself to the computer case before entering the computer case.

Do not have the computer running or even plugged in when cleaning it out!!!!

Second, purchase a brand new tooth brush with a narrow head. This will help remove embedded dust clogs from heat sinks and cooling fans. If the bristles are too long, use scissors to shorten the bristles to allow brush to fit through the cooling fans frame and fan blades.

Once you have removed all embedded dust, use compressed air, I caution you, do NOT allow the compressed air to make the cooling fans spin when blowing air at them, use the tooth brush handle to stop the fans from spinning!

Blow the rest of the dust out of the computers case, recheck everything, then reboot the computer. If it boots OK, close up the case.

Hope this helps.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 29 July 2010 - 09:40 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:13 PM

Once you have removed all embedded dust, use compressed air, I caution you, do NOT allow the compressed air to make the cooling fans spin when blowing air at them, use the tooth brush handle to stop the fans from spinning!

I have never heard of this. It would be fine to have them spin as long as it was the same direction as the air flow. I wouldn't ever blow the fan in reverse though.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

You may also look at this guide. I agree with blocking the fans.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...8.html#cleaning
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:51 PM

Blocking the fans is a good idea-moving them without the power is hard on the motors, in either direction.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:34 PM

Blocking the fans is a good idea-moving them without the power is hard on the motors, in either direction.

The only thing that power provides is electricity to the magnets, it doesn't have any effect on the rods, bearings and lubricating fluid.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:56 PM

Here is why I provided that caution.

I am explaining this in a non-technical way.

An electric motor can be driven by an electrical force, it can also work in reverse, such as how a generator creates electricity, if you placed a volt meter on the power wires of a cooling fan and forced the fan to spin, such as with compressed air or wind, you will experience a voltage reading on the wires. The fan generated electricity.

Since the fan has no control over how much output is generated, this voltage can reach a dangerous level and it can be sent back into the motherboard and its circuits, if a circuit reaches an unsafe level, a component in the circuit can be damaged and this voltage can also contain AC, the voltage coming from the PSU is filtered DC current, not AC.

Understand now why I gave that caution?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 29 July 2010 - 01:57 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

I agree with Bruce and others not to let compressed air spin the fans when cleaning. That explanation makes perfect sense.

Years ago there used to be a cable tv channel called Tech TV. Leo LaPorte had a show on one time that discussed this and he advised not to do it.

How I clean the cpu fan is to take it off the heat sink and detach the power lead from the motherboard. Then I use a car detail brush on it. A tooth brush should work just as well
In the beginning there was the command line.

#13 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

Here is why I provided that caution.

I am explaining this in a non-technical way.

An electric motor can be driven by an electrical force, it can also work in reverse, such as how a generator creates electricity, if you placed a volt meter on the power wires of a cooling fan and forced the fan to spin, such as with compressed air or wind, you will experience a voltage reading on the wires. The fan generated electricity.

Since the fan has no control over how much output is generated, this voltage can reach a dangerous level and it can be sent back into the motherboard and its circuits, if a circuit reaches an unsafe level, a component in the circuit can be damaged and this voltage can also contain AC, the voltage coming from the PSU is filtered DC current, not AC.

Understand now why I gave that caution?

Bruce.

Ah, I do see your theory regarding a mini-generator. I do believe the ground wires would prevent any problem like that though.

But, I suppose that it's better to play it safe though.

Edited by JonM33, 29 July 2010 - 05:43 PM.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:15 PM

I do believe the ground wires would prevent any problem like that though.

Regarding what you quoted above is not correct.

Grounding does not stop AC from happening.

It also does not prevent a damaging voltage from destroying low voltage IC circuits.

The voltage from a cooling fan is No.1 Not regulated. No.2 It is not filtered DC.

The PSU that sends power to the motherboard and cooling fans, has voltage regulators that regulate the current.

They also have filters which safely filter out the AC sine-wave. Most Integrated circuits can NOT handle direct AC current.

Bruce.

#15 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:23 PM

If you want to continue this further we can take it to PM. I already stated that I suppose it is better to play it safe.

I personally do not think that a small brushless fan motor can generate even negligible current. But that conversation would be best continued in a separate thread or PM. Proof is always better than theory. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users