Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung HUTIL Reports two ECC Errors

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ossilix

ossilix

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

I've been having a problem with slow startup and shutdown in Windows XP SP2 which I posted here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/334846/slow-startup-and-shutdown-xp-home-sp2/

I don't know if this is related but I just ran the diagnostic tool for my Samsung 120gb internal hard drive (sp1213n) and it reported two ECC Errors during the first 2% of the scan and said "recommend to do Erase HDD".

All the other test were "PASS", the errors at the end were this:

C:1267 H:1 S:715 Error: ECC Error
C:1268 H:1 S:687 Error: ECC Error
Error: This drive has some defects

I think this hard drive is about 5 years old.

Is the only option to erase the hard drive? Will that even help? Is it more likely that the hard drive needs to be replaced?

The important data is already backed up, but erasing the HD or getting a new one and starting over is scary as I am in the middle of various projects (like most people). Obviously I am not a computer whiz and all I can imagine are all of the things that are going to go wrong (not being able to get my modem/router working again, sound card problems, MIDI problems, USB problems etc) if I even can manage to get a new HD installed correctly.

Could anybody please give me any advice? :thumbsup:

Forgot to mention, I haven't run chkdsk after finding these errors. Would that make any difference?

Edited by ossilix, 28 July 2010 - 07:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:09 PM

5 years is past any warranty. Do you have the option of replacing it?

#3 ossilix

ossilix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

Yes it's way past any warranties. If the problem is really severe I suppose I can try to get a new hard drive to replace this one. After looking on Google I'm still not sure what an ECC error is and how serious it is. Some people say when you have one immediately replace the drive, others say most hard drives have them and it's not that big of a deal. Which is correct? Does Windows chkdsk fix things like this?

I forgot to say, this isn't an off-the-rack computer like a Dell or something I had it built by a local computer store that has since gone out of business.

Edited by ossilix, 28 July 2010 - 08:15 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:22 PM

You could try running chkdsk /f /r

Please read this.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2052292_run-chkdsk-f-windows-xp.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5758554_run-chkdsk-utility-xp.html

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...k.mspx?mfr=true

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 28 July 2010 - 08:25 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 ossilix

ossilix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:35 PM

You could try running chkdsk /f /r

Thanks Bruce. I was going to run it from Recovery Console but it's most likely going to take many many hours to complete (if it even does) so I want to make sure I take any precautions before doing it in case something goes wrong. :thumbsup:

I just wish that I could understand what an "ECC Error" is (I know it has to do with error checking), how serious of a problem it is and whether chkdsk actually fixes things like that.

Are there any other diagnostic tools I should run first?

Edited by ossilix, 28 July 2010 - 08:37 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

Chkdsk is inferior to any hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic...when it comes to hard drive problems.

Louis

#7 ossilix

ossilix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:15 PM

Chkdsk is inferior to any hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic...when it comes to hard drive problems.

So what would your advice be?

#8 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:13 AM

Thanks Bruce. I was going to run it from Recovery Console but it's most likely going to take many many hours to complete (if it even does) so I want to make sure I take any precautions before doing it in case something goes wrong. :thumbsup:

I just wish that I could understand what an "ECC Error" is (I know it has to do with error checking), how serious of a problem it is and whether chkdsk actually fixes things like that.

Are there any other diagnostic tools I should run first?

You could run the CHKDSK first and see if it does fix it. There's nothing negative that a CHKDSK can do.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

As I understand it, chkdsk /r is good at finding/fixing file errors...and some parttition errors...and overcoming some hardware (hard drive) situations.

The Samsung utility is only concerned with hard drive functionality errors, it does not concern itself with possible file system situations, IMO. Any results from HUTIL indicate that the drive itself is either functional or problematical.

If HUTIL recommended reformatting...that's what I would do. I would, afterward, then run HUTIL again. If I then received errors on the drive...I would stop using it.

As stated, running chkdsk /r will do nothing negative to your hard drive.

Any questions about the results of running HUTIL...ought to be covered at the Samsung website.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users