Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen flickers continuously *after* Windows user login

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 seatoskygirl

seatoskygirl

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

Hi there,

I have had this problem for awhile - the screen dims and brightens, dims and brightens, constantly, but in the past this would occur briefly and on reboot be fine for several months. I am using the high performance power setting and it happens whether I am plugged in or running on battery. My screen res is 1280 x 800 and the refresh rate is 60 hz (the Intel graphics media accelerated driver for mobile interface does not seem to allow me to change the refresh rate!?).

This week this has become a constant problem. It seems to have started after I downloaded an updated Intel wireless driver. The only things other recent changes are that I recently went through a thorough and successful malware removal process using the forum here, and, since then Windows (and possibly unrelated), on shutdown and startup, attempts to install updates, but this process fails (I assume it fails because it attempts to update every single time, with the same message, which I will try to get down and edit into this post on next shutdown/login).

Here are my pc/op system specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium (on an HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop)
Copyright 2007
Service Pak 2
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.5 Ghz
2.0 GB RAM
32 bit operating system
Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

Let me know if there is other information that would be useful.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cullism

cullism

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:03 PM

I have had the same problem for quite a while. I googled "flickering screen on monitor" or similar and found A windows help page which suggested that I degauss the monitor via buttons on the monitor itself. It also suggested that the problem could be caused by electrical interference, so I moved my wireless phone further away from the computer. Another possible cause is tangled cables; I'm trying to motivate myself to check this. In conclusion, I found that degaussing the monitor worked for a while but requires repetition. I should add that I have a rather old CRT monitor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users