Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

who is using my wireless ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jetapp

jetapp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

Hello,
I have DSL internet streamed into the house to the main computer......I also have Linksys wireless broadband router and my wife and I each have a laptop that we use and occasionally tie into the wireless signal.....my question is how do I determine or know when or if someone else is using my wireless internet signal.....like my kid upstairs on his xbox or someone next door or just out in the street picking up my wireless internet signal......can I see this happening ?

Edited by hamluis, 28 July 2010 - 05:55 PM.
Moved from XP to Networking ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boethe

boethe

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

This is probably specific to your router. On my router I have a client monitor which shows the MAC address of the clients currently connect to the router. It also as logging but I don't find it very intuitive and have not learned about how to use it. I expect your router has similar features and you would probably be best off looking at the manual for your router for topics on logs, logging, and monitoring.

#3 jetapp

jetapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:54 PM

I no longer have a manual or anything else that came with the linksys....my brain was telling me that I ought to be able to "see" if someone else was using my wireless internet....whilst sitting in front of my home computer that the linksys and dsl is hardwired into.....but I guess that is what you are telling me...I have to download some sort of " client monitor" first ?

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:01 PM

download a manual book for your router first is much better than download client monitor...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#5 boethe

boethe

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:20 PM

How did you set up your router? If you had to refresh your router settings what would you do? This would be the key to getting to the client monitor.

For me I go to a web browser and type in a particular URL which is an IP address. This opens the control page for my router and it is here that I access the client monitor. It is not something you need to download; it should already be there for your router, it is just knowing how to get it open.

#6 Captain Pike

Captain Pike

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

And of course the additional dumb response is: make sure you have defined a secure connection, this will make use of a password which you supply. It will be pretty difficult for people to jump on from out on the street or in the neighborhood.

Most folks set up secure connections these days. For the past few years though, when wireless routers became popular, people just plugged the equipment in and began using it -- transmitting a signal for the world to use. Believe me, I know. The winter before last my wife and I were relegated to a small one-bedroom apartment. The only good thing was, I was able to pick up somebody's signal from the neighborhood. I never figured out who it was, they never added a password, they were the only signal which was nonsecure and they had some pretty awesome throughput. I felt kind of guilty the first few movies I downloaded, but I soon got over it.

It's amazing what we sometimes think it's okay.

#7 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

Depends on the model number.

You can manage your wireless at the Linksys default 192.168.1.1
(You can change your ssid and disable broadcast to shake users).
If so you will need to re allow everybody you want in including laptops, I Touch, PSP, DS users etc...
or a WEP key

Geek method would be to flash your router and install DD-WRT (risky to new users) :thumbsup:

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

You can download the user guide from here:

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys/

Enter your model. The next page may ask for firmware version, if it does, choose the one for your router.

Downloads for your specific model number will be listed-one of them should be the User Guide.

I totally agree with Captain Pike. If you have secured the router, no one will be able to connect unless they have the password you set up. If you didn't secure the router, that is the first thing you need to do.

#9 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

For more security, you can set up MAC address filtering. this only allows connections from things you positively pre identify. Now...it will be a pain if you get a new device or friends who want to use your connection. It is also not failsafe As you can clone these...but it is another layer of protection if you are concerned. Definitely step two....one is setting up the secure connection.

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users