Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Turn Off Automatic Internet Connection In Xp?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Niki

Niki

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:34 PM

Hi,

I have WinXP Home and broadband and my computer connects to the internet automatically when I turn it on. This is annoying when I don't want to go online, because after less than a minute it is trying to connect again. Could you please tell me how I can stop it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:00 PM

Niki,

The first thing that comes to mind is to turn off the modem. However, when you do want to connect to the internet. You'll need to turn off the computer, then turn on the modem. Let the modem synchronize to your broadband network and acquire an IP. Then once that happens turn on your computer and you have internet connectivity. Thats one option. There may be others.

Be (IP) Safe

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:33 PM

Why would you not want to connect to the internet at start up? But I like to help. It won't stop the programs from trying and leaving an error message, but go to START>MY NETWORK PLACE(right click)PROPERTIES>Local Area Network(right click)select disable and that should stop your traffic.
Or you could use Zone Alarm or SyGate firewall and just block all internet traffic at the click of a mouse buttom (well a few but not that bad).
Was this what you wanted?

Edited by acklan, 24 October 2005 - 10:34 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:44 AM

I don't want to go online, because after less than a minute it is trying to connect again

Hey guys and gals, what do you make of this? Why would it disconnect itself from the internet? It seems to me that is the issue.

I have seen some DSL modems disconnect everytime you reboot, but that does not seem to be the issue here. Hmmmmm....
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:02 AM

After rereading your original POST you may have spyware or a virus trying to access the net to tranfer files. Do you have all of your anti-virus and anti-spyware installed and up to date? Are you running a firewall? Install Sygate Personal Firewall. It will tell you which programs are trying to access the internet and where they are trying to connect to.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users