Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google still redirects even though I ran Malwarebytes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 natarajasana

natarajasana

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

I am suffering from some malware that redirects my Google searches. For example, if I search for ďpandasĒ, I get a results page that looks normal. But if I click on, say, the link to the Wikipedia page for pandas, it redirects me to some random ads. This only happens in Firefox, and I can still go directly to sites if I know the URL, but I donít want to just ignore it because Iím afraid it will start to affect IE as well. My computer also runs very slow and Iím wondering if this might be part of the reason.

So far I have run Ad-Aware, AVG, and Malwarebytes, and they all have removed infections but the redirect problem persists. I also uninstalled Firefox and told it to delete all of my cookies and ad-ons and such. But when I reinstalled it the problem was still there (it also strangely retained all of my previous settings, even though I told it not to). I downloaded Spyware Doctor, but Malwarebytes identified it as malware so Iím afraid I may have gotten a phony version or something, so I uninstalled it.

Iíve been using a separate computer to search for possible solutions, and here are the suggestions Iíve found:
1. replace the atapi.sys driver with a copy from a working computer
2. delete all IP addresses other than localhost 127 from the hosts file
3. make sure the automatically acquire DNS server box is checked (I donít know where this box is)
4. go to about:config > extensions.embedItems and delete anything that looks weird
5. use some other programs to try and remove the Malware, such as
-Hitman Pro
-TDSS Killer
-CCleaner
-HijackThis
-Microsoft security essentials
-Kaspersky
-StopZilla
-and if all else fails . . . ComboFix

I am not a computer expert so Iím nervous about trying any of these, especially after Spyware Doctor got all screwy on me. Options 1-4 sound like they could be dangerous if you donít know what youíre doing, and Iíve heard horror stories about Hitman Pro and ComboFix ruining computers. Iíve even heard of people who reinstalled Windows and the problem didnít go away!

So Ė can anyone advise me as to what I should try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:01 AM

Try running TDSS Killer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...sing-tdsskiller
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users