Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer doesnt start immediately

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GeekyAl

GeekyAl

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

My computer doesnt start immediately on the first press of the main ON button, but on the second or third try. It then functions normally. Even in sleep mode, the main button has to be pressed twice or sometimes thrice to wake it up. its a day now with this unusual behavior. This happened last year too and went on for several days until it just wouldnt boot at all but the fans would run. Thinking this might happen again? WHat do you guys think? what would make my computer behave this way?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:58 PM

My computer doesnt start immediately on the first press of the main ON button, but on the second or third try.

How old is your computer?

It is possible your power supply could be going bad...

until it just wouldnt boot at all but the fans would run.

So your saying, you push your power button, the fans and lights come on, but nothing on your monitor?

#3 Hahaz

Hahaz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

My computer doesnt start immediately on the first press of the main ON button, but on the second or third try. It then functions normally. Even in sleep mode, the main button has to be pressed twice or sometimes thrice to wake it up. its a day now with this unusual behavior. This happened last year too and went on for several days until it just wouldnt boot at all but the fans would run. Thinking this might happen again? WHat do you guys think? what would make my computer behave this way?

It could be a motherboard fault. Check if your mouse or keyboard lights start up.
I had a problem similar, but I had to replace the motherboard.

And if you can, do a system restore to before it happened. Might fix some things up.

#4 GeekyAl

GeekyAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

Hey AustinTerry,
my computer is 3 years old, mobo replaced twice (last in Nov'09) psupply replaced in Mar'10. Everything works fine except that it takes more than ONE press of the power button to start the computer, which happened since yesterday and still happening!

Hey Hahaz, will wait a day or two and try out your suggestion on system restore thinghy. hope that'll work. Me thinks the mobo acting up like you suspect.

thanks
Alex

#5 DevonSchreiner

DevonSchreiner

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

Is there any chance the button is just getting worn out? That's what happened to my girlfriends Dell, the button was just so flimsy that it wasn't working very well anymore. Maybe something to just check before you replace the motherboard, power supply and everything else.
Devon Schreiner
Tech Blog - TheTechBlender.com
Personal Website - DevonSchreiner.com
Twitter - @DevonSchreiner

#6 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:49 PM

If you push the power button and all the fans come on, lights all work, then yes, possibly a motherboard.

#7 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:50 PM

Is there any chance the button is just getting worn out? That's what happened to my girlfriends Dell, the button was just so flimsy that it wasn't working very well anymore. Maybe something to just check before you replace the motherboard, power supply and everything else.

Pull the front of the case if if you can, and check the wire connections to the button.

#8 GeekyAl

GeekyAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:33 PM

ok Hahaz, Austin and DavidS,

Taking in all that you suggested, I will first check the switch on the fornt panel, then do a system restore, then have the mobo checked. How can I get the mobo checked? Should I contact a technician, or just wait for it to conk off altogether and replace with a new one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users