Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choppy framerate, need some help please.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rommpinturtle

rommpinturtle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

So whenever I play World At War, Alien Swarm, or Call of Duty 4, they have this chopiness. I am running these games on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I had Vsync turned off. I have Windows 7 Ultimate. This happens throughout the whole time I play these games.It gets choppy, like the framerate is perfectly normal and smooth, but about every half a second it almost stays on the same frame for maybe 1 5th of a second, this may not seem like much, and the times are estimated, but this gets very annoying.

Ok so my max temps while playing WAW for my CPU was 70c, max temp for my GPU was 55c. I have the 10.7 ATI drivers, the most updated one. Is there a part in my computer that makes it Choppy? What can I do to fix this? It isn't choppy on Call of Duty 2 with max settings, or The Witcher on medium settings. But I even tried out the worst possible settings on World at War and it was still choppy. Help please?

Here are my specs:

Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

RAM: A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model AD2U800B1G5-DRH

Power Supply: SILVERSTONE ST50F-ES 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Graphics Card: XFX HD-567X-YNFC Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 512MB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2 /AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor HDZ550WFK2DGI - OEM

Edited by rommpinturtle, 28 July 2010 - 02:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:39 PM

You covered everything except for the operating system you are running these games on.

Please include whether it is 32 bit or 64 bit.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 rommpinturtle

rommpinturtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:43 PM

Windos 7 Ultimate 64bit.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for your reply you have Windows 7 64 Bit.

It may not work entirely for you and the games you are currently using, but one thing I have noticed when I encountered problems with certain games with Windows 7 is I tried several procedures on a trial basis to see if I gained reasonable results.

First I tried running the .exe as Administrator by right clicking the .exe that starts the game, I also tried compatibility mode for Windows XP, I also noticed this presented me with menu options to run the .exe (executable) in different screen resolutions.

I found that running one game in particular ran flawlessly when I did the following: I went to my game folder, I right clicked the .exe file, chose properties, then check marked run as administrator.

Next I chose run in XP mode and had no further problems with the game.

Its worth a try.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

Check to see if there is any hard drive activity when these slowdowns occur. I ran for the longest time with 2gigs of RAM (Vista 64) until I started running Crysis and discovered my framerates dropped when the machine ran out of memory and my hard drive started to thrash. Supposedly WIN7 is better with memory management, but it don't hurt to check. If it slugs down and the hard drive light is flashing, you might have found the problem.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 rommpinturtle

rommpinturtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:28 PM

I have 196 gbs left in my hard drive, but the light flashes all of the time. Also the run as administrator thing didn't work.

Edited by rommpinturtle, 28 July 2010 - 04:28 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:07 PM

Try running this program 3Dmark06 and run some bench-marks and see what your score is.

3dMark06 http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark06/introduction/

Click the download button for the FREE version.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 28 July 2010 - 05:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users