Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello everyone, Compaq Problem.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 cheddaking

cheddaking

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:43 AM

hey everyone.this is my 1st time on this forum.i have a situation. i have a compaq computer (dont know the model # yet)and i was trying to install a 2nd hard drive.when i plugged it in,the windows 98 logo came up.than it said there was insufficient memory 2 start windows up.is there any one that has an idea on how to fix the situation or should i just go out and get a new hard drive?here is some info on the hard drive i was trying to put in:model #90640D3,Code :GAS6C712. CT:21AB2010NI04NU,P/N 388084-001.I dont know if that will help anyone.i appreciate any help anyone can offer.btw,im not a computer wizz like u guys are.thank you. ***moderator edit***

EDIT: Merged separate threads, same subject, modified title ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 31 July 2010 - 09:22 AM.
Email address removed to protect the member from Spambots

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

First, I had a moderator remove your email address from your post above, for safety reasons, posting your email address in a public forum is not advisable.

Second, You will have to find out the Compaq model number and post that so those of us who wish to offer advice, know exactly what motherboard we are helping you with.

There may be a simple BIOS setting in your motherboard's BIOS setup utility that needs to be changed, I can not offer you worth while advice if I do not know what options are available first.

I will await your reply.

Kind regards.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 cheddaking

cheddaking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:09 AM

Thank You for removing the email address.That was silly of me. I thought I put the model # in(#90640D3)for the one i was trying to put in.Do u mean the model # for the compaq im using? where would i find the # on the computer?inside or outside?

#4 cheddaking

cheddaking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:51 AM

hey everyone.this is my 1st time on this forum.I joined cuz i ran into an issue while trying to pu a new hard drive in my pc and it looks like there are plenty of smart people on here. i have a compaq computer (dont know the model # yet)and i was trying to install a 2nd hard drive.when i plugged it in,the windows 98 logo came up.than it said there was insufficient memory 2 start windows up.is there any one that has an idea on how to fix the situation or should i just go out and get a new hard drive?here is some info on the hard drive i was trying to put in:model #90640D3,Code :GAS6C712. CT:21AB2010NI04NU,P/N 388084-001.And i hope this is the right model # for the pc i use:EL445AA-ABA SR1750NX NA650I dont know if that will help anyone.i appreciate any help anyone can offer.thank you.

Edited by jgweed, 28 July 2010 - 02:19 PM.
merge post with prior thread

#5 cheddaking

cheddaking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

here is the model # for my pc.EL445AA-ABA SR1750NX NA650.

Edited by hamluis, 28 July 2010 - 06:35 PM.
Merged post to original thread ~ Hamluis.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:50 PM

Hello again, lets get the ball rolling here on getting this computer problem resolved.

First I am providing you with the main support page for your Compaq Presario SR1750NX Desktop PC

http://search.hp.com/query.html?hpl=0&...s.html&uf=1

The problem we are faced with here is that Windows 98 is no longer supported and there is a lack of resources available for it, such as drivers and hardware that still supports its architecture.

I know your computer can support both Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Since this is the case, I know your BIOS setup utility should be able to support your hardware, but you are most likely limited by the operating system you are using, which is Windows 98.

Please use the link I have provided above to research possibilities, but my advice would be to try upgrading to an OS that still has continued support.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 cheddaking

cheddaking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

How would I know which OS to update to use?

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:56 PM

from what OS? on what computer? what are you trying to accomplish?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

If you have a fairly new system, Windows 7 is your best bet. :thumbsup:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#10 cheddaking

cheddaking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:21 PM

if u read my previous post,you will see what im talking about.any help u give will be truly appreciated. :thumbsup:

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

Alright some pointers here to give you a hand to help us help you. If you have a problem, we want to help you-so in order to do that, we need you to describe what the problem is, include as much pertinent information as possible (computer type, as much about the hardware your running, what OS, etc) as much information about what the computer is doing as possible, and one problem per topic. Don't make multiple topics of the same problem, posting saying previous post will tell us what you were talking about isn't very helpful, for a couple reasons. One, its a big site, we may not have seen your previous topics, and many will not go through and search. I have gone through, and notice you have like three other topics, so Im still just as confused as to your problem-which one are you talking about? it is better to post a reply in the topic you originally started and to remain in that topic until the problem is solved, starting new topics just adds confusion and clutter and it makes it that much harder for us to help you. So please, help us help you-describe your problem with as much information as possible, and keep it to one topic per problem, and we can resolve your issue. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#12 cheddaking

cheddaking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

thank you for the info.like i said,i'm new here.the situation is i was trying to install a new hard drive into my existing computer.the model # for my existing comp is,EL445AA-ABA SR1750NX NA650.Mr.Bruce1959 said this on his reply:Hello again, lets get the ball rolling here on getting this computer problem resolved.

First I am providing you with the main support page for your Compaq Presario SR1750NX Desktop PC

http://search.hp.com/query.html?hpl=0&...s.html&uf=1

The problem we are faced with here is that Windows 98 is no longer supported and there is a lack of resources available for it, such as drivers and hardware that still supports its architecture.

I know your computer can support both Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Since this is the case, I know your BIOS setup utility should be able to support your hardware, but you are most likely limited by the operating system you are using, which is Windows 98.

Please use the link I have provided above to research possibilities, but my advice would be to try upgrading to an OS that still has continued support.

Bruce.
My issue is how to find out what my current OS is so I will know what to update to,if at all.My OS name is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.is this enough info or do u need more?please tell me what u need.

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

First we need to clarify exactly what operating system you are running. In your first post you said the Windows 98 logo came up, which 98 does display when booting. Then in the above, you say XP home. It is essential for us to know what we are dealing with. Go to Control Panel and click on the System icon. The OS will be displayed there.

Then we need to know what size hard drive you are attempting to install
Based on the model # I find a Maxtor 6.4 gig.
Is this correct? This information is on the label on the top of the drive
In the beginning there was the command line.

#14 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

I suggest you stick to Windows XP. If anything, Win XP Pro SP3.

And yeah, I did go through the system specifications. :thumbsup:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 31 July 2010 - 06:12 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#15 cheddaking

cheddaking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:54 PM

u r correct about the hard drive.if it only has 6.4 gigs,than maybe its not worth the trouble.the windows logo came up after i put in the new one.

is the maxtor hard drive too old?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users