Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

two administrator accounts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ds123

ds123

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:48 AM

A microsoft technician asked me to type the following into the command prompt to create another administrator account -

net user administrator /active:yes

now i have two admin accounts and cannot delete the new account created, i have logged on as both and am given the option to delete my account 'David' but no option to delete the new account.

Has this new accounts privileges been elevated above my original user account?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:11 AM

Hi ds123,

The Microsoft technician had you enable the hidden Admin account. This shouldn't be used for anything other than troubleshooting, and perhaps not at all.

To disable, log into your normal admin account "David", open a command prompt in administrator mode by right-clicking and choosing “Run as administrator”.

Now type the following command:

net user administrator /active:no

Reboot.

The administrator account will now be disabled, and shouldn’t show up on the login screen anymore.

#3 boethe

boethe

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

This technique for creating an administrator account in Vista is described here but your symptom of having two adminstrator accounts seem to contradict a claim made in this article.

How to activate the hidden Vista Administrator Account

From article:

"One puzzle remained, if, when you initially logon to Vista, can you create (as opposed to activate) an account called Administrator.

John Wolfe came up with the answer. 'When I tried to name the original account as Administrator. I was told that the "Account already exists" '.

My point is that you cannot have two accounts with the same name, and unlike previous operating systems, before you can logon to Vista you must first create an account."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users