Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ventrilo won't install on XP2

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rayvn

Rayvn

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

Error message: "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction." The dialog box is titled "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem."

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2010 - 08:32 AM.
Moved from Games to All Other Applications ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mute20

mute20

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:50 PM

Why are you running on xp2 there is literally no reason not to upgrade to xp3

#3 Rayvn

Rayvn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:31 PM

...How is your personal, nonsensical opinion of the software that does the best job for my purposes even remotely relevant to the topic posted about?

#4 mute20

mute20

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:42 AM

From what I am seeing on a different forums this is some sort of virus problem either that or something else. I am not gonna argue with you on if you want to leave yourself more exposed with xp2 if you find it "nonsensical".

#5 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:42 PM

...How is your personal, nonsensical opinion of the software that does the best job for my purposes even remotely relevant to the topic posted about?

Being nasty to people won't get you help. :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

Someone needs to review the forum rules.

Discussion Forum Rules - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/boardrules.php

"There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory. This includes flaming or instigating arguments."

I think that post #3 in this thread falls into the category covered by the rule I quoted.

My advice...if suggestions, comments, etc. are made that you choose to ignore, that's fine. If suggestions, comments, etc. are made that you take issue with...do so in the spirit of the forum rules.

Strictly my opinion...but I don't happen to believe that any inquiry regarding system security (XP SPs are security updates, for the most part) is "nonsensical" by any stretch of the imagination. It's your system, you have the right to have an increased risk of malware vulnerability, by virtue of not having installed critical updates.

You don't have to take offense if...someone asks you about such on these forums. You don't have to respond at all.

The same goes for those whom you are asking for assistance/suggestions...if they take offense to something you post...or if they just don't feel like providing assistance to someone evidencing what can be construed as "an attitude."

Louis

Google Results for Error Message

FWIW: The error message posted in the initial post...seems to indicate that you are trying to run a 16-bit game on XP, which is a 32-bit O/S. If you look at the Google results, you will see that this is not uncommon. You might check the website of the game developer for similar/same situations as you now experience.

Edited by hamluis, 14 August 2010 - 06:19 PM.

#7 Rayvn

Rayvn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:27 PM

Being nasty to people won't get you help. :thumbsup:

Of course not, but the guy who posted derogatory remarks about me is not looking for help so he probably doesn't care much about that.

Discussion Forum Rules - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/boardrules.php

"There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory. This includes flaming or instigating arguments."

I think that post #3 in this thread falls into the category covered by the rule I quoted.

No you're wrong about that, post #3 is the one where I ask people NOT to break that rule, post #2 is the one being inflammatory posted for no other reason then to flame and attempt to induce arguing.

Strictly my opinion...but I don't happen to believe that any inquiry regarding system security (XP SPs are security updates, for the most part) is "nonsensical" by any stretch of the imagination. It's your system, you have the right to have an increased risk of malware vulnerability, by virtue of not having installed critical updates.

Actually updates are most likely to harm your system, installing useless crap which slows it down however is most cases far more likely then a virus unless you are stupid and visit sites that have viruses and download attachments from SPAM mails, etc.

The same goes for those whom you are asking for assistance/suggestions...if they take offense to something you post...or if they just don't feel like providing assistance to someone evidencing what can be construed as "an attitude."

Right but again as far as this topic goes that's okay because the poster who had "an attitude" is not asking for help.

Google Results for Error Message

I am not sure why you posted a link to "Google results for this error message" when there is no solution at all even attempted to be provided at any of those links (and even if you haven't clicked any of those links you still know that that is the case since there is a topic on this forum asking about it by someone who knows how to type and use Windows in general which means that Google is extremely unhelpful and/or does not solve the problem in this specific case).

FWIW: The error message posted in the initial post...seems to indicate that you are trying to run a 16-bit game on XP, which is a 32-bit O/S.

....Ventrilo is not a game????

If you look at the Google results, you will see that this is not uncommon.

How does it being not uncommon make it install????

You might check the website of the game developer for similar/same situations as you now experience.

What game developer? If there were any helpful posts about Vent on a forum for a random game, it would probably show up on Google. But since that could be almost any online game ever made, if it doesn't show up on Google no one is ever going to find it unless they run across it accidentally or have never heard of Ventrilo before and are installing on a specific suggestion.

From what I am seeing on a different forums this is some sort of virus problem either that or something else. I

Umm, yes, my problem "is caused by something," that is pretty obvious... if it was not being caused by anything then it would not exist???

I definitely do not have any viruses but if I did I would need to know which one and how to remove it, if you are trying to help somebody then telling them they might have a virus won't be helpful, just letting you know so that you don't post that to people in the future except for like computer-illiterate people, in some cases computer-illiterate people do post on forums like this and they will take it to a repair center if you tell them they have a virus... but in that case you should be sure 'cause they'll be spending money on it if they do that; I do not have any viruses.

#8 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

He asked why you weren't running SP3 (so I assume that "XP2" means Windows XP SP2). He stated there isn't a reason not to upgrade to it, which is indicating a suggestion to upgrade. There's nothing inflammatory or flaming in that.

#9 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:08 PM

Perhaps knowing the OS would shed some light on the SP2 / SP3 issue.

EDIT:
Something like this?

Posted Imageclick to enlarge

Ventrilo Tech Support

Edited by Martel, 14 August 2010 - 09:32 PM.

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:14 PM

Martel she is running windows xp (found when looking through old posts) Also yes she should upgrade to SP3 but a hamluis has stated it is up to her whether she wants to have a stable and secure computer or not also if she keeps saying what she has this topic may be closed as per the rules either that or no one will help her :thumbsup: (that is just my .01 cents)

Edited by computerxpds, 14 August 2010 - 11:36 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#11 Martel

Martel

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

:flowers:

This may be a software compatibility issue. A result of not having current upgrades.

The decision not to upgrade to SP3 is very pioneering IMHO.

There are over 230 Security Patches alone in XP SP3
And not to mention the over 900 Hotfixes
I can provide a list.

Ditto :thumbsup:

Edited by Martel, 14 August 2010 - 11:51 PM.

#12 Rayvn

Rayvn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:01 AM

He asked why you weren't running SP3 (so I assume that "XP2" means Windows XP SP2). He stated there isn't a reason not to upgrade to it, which is indicating a suggestion to upgrade. There's nothing inflammatory or flaming in that.

It is inflammatory because it has nothing to do with my post, is nothing but an insult as to my choice of OS to use, not to mention being off-topic/irrelevant.

:thumbsup:

This may be a software compatibility issue. A result of not having current upgrades.

The decision not to upgrade to SP3 is very pioneering IMHO.

There are over 230 Security Patches alone in XP SP3
And not to mention the over 900 Hotfixes
I can provide a list.

It also adds some extra useless Microsoft-crap that I don't need to deal with. Don't you notice how the vast majority of exploits that are "patches" by Microsoft are ones that aren't being used anyway? It was installed somewhere at one time, and causes more clutter for the control panel.

Perhaps knowing the OS would shed some light on the SP2 / SP3 issue.

It says in the topic title, XP.

Martel she is running windows xp (found when looking through old posts)

That's impossible, you can't find my OS by looking through old posts, because those posts are old. Even if they were not old, you can't find the OS that is being used about this subject that way. Most of the computers I use have XP, but some have Vista and nothing can be done about it, and the ones that have XP may not have the same service pack and definitely not always the same *exact* configurations.

But, it is in the topic title.

Ventrilo Tech Support

Registering at a message board now requires clicking a link in e-mail, this e-mail never showed up. I already have an account here. I did look through and couldn't find anything.

#13 Martel

Martel

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:07 AM

Searching Ventrilo Support
It seems others have had the same problem and SP3 is the answer.
Posted Image

Be sure the program came from Ventrilo Download

You will need to determine which of the updates you are willing to allow on your OS in order to load and run the program.

If not Skype might run....also may use more resources.

#14 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:40 AM

It is inflammatory because it has nothing to do with my post, is nothing but an insult as to my choice of OS to use, not to mention being off-topic/irrelevant.

Wrong. It has everything to do with your post. Admitting to using Windows XP SP2 means you are using an OS that is no longer supported, even by Microsoft. You should download and install SP3. That would generally be anyone's recommendation when it comes to errors - to make sure all your drivers and updates are installed.

Martel even pointed out in post #13 that it seems to be an issue of not having SP3 installed.

#15 Martel

Martel

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:01 AM

Microsoft did not deliver a fix for users running Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)

Microsoft on Tuesday officially retired Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)

To receive any further fixes, security or otherwise, users must run XP SP3 or upgrade to a newer operating system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users