Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed Spy Sherrif, Can't Get My Xp Style Buttons Back

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 evilincarn8

evilincarn8

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:09 PM

I had Spy Sherrif, removed it, and everything is back to normal, except that I have windows classic style taskbar, windows and buttons. The option is simply not available when I try to change it back to XP.

Someone, please help me fix this.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:00 PM

Have you tried going thru the TASKBAR(right click)>PROPERTIES>START MENU then select start menu?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 evilincarn8

evilincarn8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:04 PM

Have you tried going thru the TASKBAR(right click)>PROPERTIES>START MENU then select start menu?

It's not that simple.

When I right click on the background, and select>PROPERTIES>APPEARANCE>the WINDOWS AND BUTTONS option only has one choice - Windows Classic style - Windows XP style is missing

This not a simple problem of selecting something from a menu, some file has been deleted or altered, if I knew which file was damaged/missing I could pull it off of another computer.

Thanks for trying!

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:10 PM

Not the desktop the taskbar. Next to the clock and start button. The blue or grey bar that runs accross the bottom of windows.

#5 evilincarn8

evilincarn8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:33 AM

Not the desktop the taskbar. Next to the clock and start button. The blue or grey bar that runs accross the bottom of windows.

I understood what you said, that is not the problem. It is more involved than a simple "options" choice, A file has been dameged/removed by spy sherrif, or one of the the viruses that came with it.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:50 AM

When I right click on the background, and select>PROPERTIES>APPEARANCE>the WINDOWS AND BUTTONS option only has one choice - Windows Classic style - Windows XP style is missing

I 'm sorry if I miss understood, but from what you described I though you were in the Display Propeties not the Taskbar. I apoligize. I will do some research on the matter and try to get back with you.

#7 evilincarn8

evilincarn8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:25 AM

I 'm sorry if I miss understood, but from what you described I though you were in the Display Propeties not the Taskbar. I apoligize. I will do some research on the matter and try to get back with you.

I was in both, nothing is intentionaly set to windows classic, Even when I select the Windows XP theme, the buttons will not change. I never selected WIndows Classic style in anything. It happened after I removed Spy Sherrif

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:07 PM

Heres two possible solutions that may help.

Missing XP style Start menu option in the Taskbar properties
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/nosimplestartmenu.htm

Windows/Buttons Greyed Out under Appearance and/or Windows XP Style Changes to Windows Classic (Line 214)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

The other question I would ask, is how did you remove SpySherrif? It is related to Smitfraud which makes changes to your registry that can affect your desktop and display properties. The infection may not have been completely removed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 evilincarn8

evilincarn8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2005 - 07:43 PM

Heres two possible solutions that may help.

Missing XP style Start menu option in the Taskbar properties
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/nosimplestartmenu.htm

Windows/Buttons Greyed Out under Appearance and/or Windows XP Style Changes to Windows Classic (Line 214)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

The other question I would ask, is how did you remove SpySherrif? It is related to Smitfraud which makes changes to your registry that can affect your desktop and display properties. The infection may not have been completely removed.

OK, nothing has worked so far. I'm going to re-explain the problem in different way in the hopes that someone can help. If I right click on my desktop, go to properties, go to the "appearance" tab, under where it says "Windows and buttons", I only have one choice "Windows Classic style". There is NO other option, I have a drop down list with only one choice. There are no greyed-out options, just "Windows Classic style" all by itself. I believe a file was removed/damaged durning the whole spy sherrif cleansing. I have tried every solution offered so far.

As for spy sherrif, I followed the instruction I got from a forum on this website to remove it.

Please help!!!!!

#10 everkleer

everkleer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:34 AM

OK, nothing has worked so far. I'm going to re-explain the problem in different way in the hopes that someone can help. If I right click on my desktop, go to properties, go to the "appearance" tab, under where it says "Windows and buttons", I only have one choice "Windows Classic style". There is NO other option, I have a drop down list with only one choice. There are no greyed-out options, just "Windows Classic style" all by itself. I believe a file was removed/damaged durning the whole spy sherrif cleansing. I have tried every solution offered so far.

As for spy sherrif, I followed the instruction I got from a forum on this website to remove it.

Please help!!!!!

Same exact problem here (I think) also after having followed steps on this site to remove Spy Sheriff. Have you found any solution?

Also, it doesn't really matter but do you have any idea where this came from? I was not surfing or anything when it started showing it's effects on my comp and I hadn't been for hours. I am constantly connected to DSL through a router but I was about 4 hours deep in a game (hadn't been doing anything else) when my game suddenly minimized, my desktop changed, and I started getting those balloon warnings in the taskbar every few seconds.

Anyway, let me know what you've found out for the "XP style" problem.

#11 everkleer

everkleer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:11 AM

My computer also seems to run a lot slower now. While I was infected by spysheriff, my computer ran at the normal speed but I'd experience the other annoying symptoms. Now that I've removed it, my computer runs a lot slower and I have the 'Missing XP Style' problem mentioned above. For anyone that wants to know, I finally found the page that I followed to remove the spyware: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...exe-t22402.html
The page features a link to a 'new automated process' but I didn't use that; I used the 'manual process' on the page I just mentioned.

#12 Etche

Etche

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:17 PM

If anyone still have the same problem..I FOUND A SOLUTION

The Default Windows XP Theme is Luna...you can find it in this folder

C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

The theme file is Luna.theme. You will also see a folder called Luna. Inside that folder there should be a file called Luna.msstyles. This file contains the information regarding the styles inside the theme..and I guess it is deleated when you remove Spy Sheriff..

So what you need to do is to get the following file form another computer and paste it in the same direction..
C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Luna\Luna.msstyles

After you paste it, double-click it and you will finaly get the option to choose back the Windows XP style..

Hope this helps everyone cause I searched everywhere to fix this...

PS: sory for my english hehe..

Edited by Etche, 12 December 2005 - 09:33 PM.

#13 bsmack

bsmack

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:14 PM

Hi everyone,

Please follow this thread. Had the same problem the other day (from the same spyware!) and this fixed the issue.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/37382/help-restore-windows-xp-desktop/

Hope that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users