Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

512Mb RAM, single channel mode...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jayson201

Jayson201

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:18 AM

With my mothers desktop, I noticed that there are 2 modules of 256 Mb RAM. There are 2..Bays (I forgot the terminology, I always do....watch it be the right term O_O) 2 Bays for the RAM, meaning 4 DIMM slots for RAM. The 2 modules are in different bays....

Now, If I were to put the one 256 module right next to the other, would that put it into Dual Channel mode (Which is usually faster, correct?)
Can you help me elaborate please, I might be wrong. I am only 14, so I probably am wrong at some point.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

It depends on the way the motherboard has been laid out. Some designs put the channel slots side by side, some make it alternate, and they may well be color coded. You can try the alternative and see how it goes. Dual Channel mode does give the best performance, but needs identical or adequately similar DIMMs. If you change the location and it stays in Single Channel mode, the RAM may not be suitable for Dual Channel operation.

If you can discover the brand and model of the motherboard, you should be able to download a user manual for it and confirm the layout of the DIMM slots.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:23 AM

If I had the mobo specs, I wouldnt have come here, now would I?

Sorry for the sarcasm ;) However, the information you just gave me is sufficient, thank you very much.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:53 PM

Well...how about a system manufacturer and model?

The owner's manual should contain information on the RAM modules and dual-channel.

I must warn you...I'm not as diplomatic as Platypus might be. I tend to return sarcasm with sarcasm :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:07 PM

if you can open computer case I think not hard to you to find out what is your system manufacturer and model...
~on your computer case...try to find a sticker that maybe from your system manufacture that contain a name of your computer brand and model..
~on your mainboard...there will be a mainboard manufacture name and type/model written on your mainboard...
~on your system information (if you have windows OS) there will be an information about your system...
hope this clue can help you to find what is your system manufacturer and model :D

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users