Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1pixel thick long vertical line down desktop background only

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jayson201

Jayson201

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:05 AM

There is a vertical line that starts at the first quarter of the screen, and goes all the way down to the taskbar.
It is only 1 pixel thick and ONLY on the desktop background.
It is white.
The reason I ask here, is the fact that it is there no matter what the background is. Whether it be the cover of an album from killswitch engage or the Flyers logo, it doesnt matter, it is still there.

I figure it to be a slightly corrupted file or registry key. I can live with it, it is just slightly annoying and I want it gone.

If I have to go into the System32 folder or RegEdit, I dont care how dangerous the method, I just want that annoying line gone.

I will get a screen shot, I will draw a circle around it, then I will link you to the picture :::: Any help is appreciated.

http://img59.imageshack.us/i/bkgrndannoyance.png/

and please allow me to kill 2 birds with one stone....What is ctfmon.exe....I know it is part of windows, but is it crucial, and can I take it off of start up?

Edited by ComputerTalk-Jayson, 28 July 2010 - 06:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ectech1

ectech1

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:36 AM

do you have another monitor handy to connect?

ctfmon is a component used to help with speech recognition, handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies. It is not a system critical process and can safely be removed.

here's how... http://www.pchell.com/support/ctfmon.shtml

Edited by ectech1, 28 July 2010 - 06:37 AM.

#3 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:43 AM

do you have another monitor handy to connect?

ctfmon is a component used to help with speech recognition, handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies. It is not a system critical process and can safely be removed.

here's how... http://www.pchell.com/support/ctfmon.shtml

No, but as I said, I highly doubt that it is the monitor, as it is only the desktop background.
If I had another monitor, Id gladly check.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users