Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'My Pictures' Missing From Start Menu

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:38 AM

Howdy,

The "My Pictures' option is missing from the start menu. I am listed as the owner/administrator. If I switch users the "My Pictures" shows up in the start menu on that account.

This happened this morning. I used system restore and went back a couple of days to try to fix it with no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: The 'system restore' option was also missing from the control panel. That option is now back after the restore was performed.

Edit: As a side note, I just tried to save a screen shot and when I clicked save as the only option I was given was to save it in system 32.

Thanks,

Dennis :thumbsup: XP-Home, IE-8, SP-3

Edited by Dennis H, 28 July 2010 - 06:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boethe

boethe

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:08 AM

In Vista in the Control Panel - Classic View if you go to the application Taskbar and Start Menu and then to the tab Start Menu and button Customize you can set whether things like Pictures and Documents appear as choices in the Start Menu.

I don't have an XP install but I imagine the method for controlling this is similar or unchanged from what I see in Vista.

Let us know if you can get My Pictures to display in the Start Menu this way.

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:19 AM

Thanks for the reply.

The boxes for My Pictures and My Music are ticked. (I just noticed my music is missing).

As a side note. I just went to a web site and saved a picture. The only choice I had to save it was in 'My Documents".

I went to Photobucket to upload the picture. When I clicked browse the My Documents box came up and I was able to download it.

The my pictures option seems to have just vanished from my account.

Dennis

#4 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:50 AM

Update.

Yesterday I used a USB plug in flash drive to save my pictures as a back up. It is the first time I have ever used one.

I went to my pictures and downloaded them to the flash drive.

Just for the heck of it, I just plugged the flash drive in and up-loaded the pictures on it back to the computer. The "My Pictures" option has re-aapeared in the start menu.

I have no idea what is going on other than it is now working.

Perhaps I downloaded the pictures from the wrong location on the computer yesterday ?

' My Music' is still missing from start.

Thanks,

Dennis :thumbsup:

Edited by Dennis H, 28 July 2010 - 07:26 AM.

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:47 AM

Update.

Just in case someone runs into the same problem.

I restarted my computer a couple of times yesterday hoping that the "My Music' option would show back up in the start menu, it did not.

I shutdown the computer last night and this morning the option re-appeared.

Why it came back after a full shutdown and not on restart, I have no idea but it did.

Thanks for the replies and help.

Dennis :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users