Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee Enterprise; Access Protection; temp files

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 CWD1127

CWD1127

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:51 AM

I have McAfee Enterprise on my computer (from my spouse's work because he works at home sometimes). I'm running Windows XP. We recently installed a new hard drive mostly due to a nasty worm.

I know this is going to sound a little confusing - but that's because I'm confused about firewalls, etc.

My questions have to do with the McAfee Enterprise Access Protection Log; A log is generated everytime there is an event... one of the recurring messages I get is the following:

7/28/2010 12:07:24 AM Would be blocked by Access Protection rule (rule is currently not enforced) COMPUTER1\Cecelia C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE C:\Documents and Settings\Cecelia\Local Settings\Temp\IXP000.TMP\setup_wm.exe Common Standard Protection:Prevent common programs from running files from the Temp folder Action blocked : Execute

I am taking this to mean that if I set it (is "it" the firewall?) up the correct way, the rule would be enforced and whatever it is would not have run in the temp file. At the time I was loading a program I needed. This has happened whenever I download or load a program.

My questions: Is it okay to block things from running in there? Don't they need a place to run temporarily? I don't think this is internet temp folder, is it? I empty it once a day.

Can someone explain this to me in simple terms? I want to use this to my best advantage, but I don't want to handcuff myself when I want to load or download .... Also, I was advised years ago to delete everything in C:\Windows\Temp - I still do it out of habit - does this take care of the above?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users