Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combo Fix, ruining lives.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lk61791

lk61791

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:49 AM

Okay so my boyfriend has windows xp. He went on something, stupidly advised by me that told him to get rid of the redirect virus that keeps directing his google/bing/yahoo searches else where. I read a lot on Combofix and it sounded like it should work, we even followed a site that instructed him what to do. I only found out afterwards how complicated the program was and shouldn't have used it. He followed the instructs on this site. However when he did so it began the scan, the page saying it will take 10 minutes or a little more, and it didn't leave his computer for two days. Now when he restarts his computer it goes slower than a snails pace and a few times he couldn't boot it up. Please help returning it to normal, or at least reversing this stupid program. Otherwise I will never hear the end of this. =/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:23 AM

Okay... first let me say this. ComboFox used correctly and with proper guidance is a very effective tool against malware. I would NEVER recommend using it without guidance - period.

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

I am asking a Malware tech to respond to your post. Please be patient and they will be here to help soon. Help is on the way.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:43 AM

Hi,

as you have experienced first hand ComboFix is not a safe tool to run by yourself. However ComboFix does offer a few options to undo what it did.

Namely it sets a system restore point before it starts altering anything. Please try restoring your PC to this system restore point and let me know if the PC is back to its usual self.

If you need help on how to use system restore, please have a look here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...temrestore.mspx

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users