Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.exe files won't run

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thor15

thor15

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:18 AM

Am running XP sp3. Windows won't run .exe files from my wife's login. What did she do? Error messsage pops up asking for the correct program to run file even though file is .exe.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:38 AM

System manufacturer and model, please?

Exact wording of error message, please.

Louis

#3 boethe

boethe

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:50 AM

The association for exe files is controlled in the system registry. It is possible that this association is corrupted. Working with the system registry is very delicate so I would advise waiting for the more experienced members to work you through troubleshooting and repairing the issue. Providing complete information as requested will help them be comfortable advising you on the issue.

#4 thor15

thor15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:43 AM

Thanks guys. It was the registry. Apparently this is a common problem for XP (or challanged XP users). I found an fix (exefix.reg) from http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm that solved the problem.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:29 PM

Nice work, very well done :thumbsup:.

Kelly's webpage has saved many of us unnecessary frustration, happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:33 PM

Indeed, I saw the topic title and was just pulling up Kelly's page before I read all the way down!

#7 boethe

boethe

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:37 PM

Great, I am glad that approach worked. I recently dealt with a similar issue where the exe association was so badly corrupted that I could not even get explorer to open. Had to go through task manager to get to a DOS window and run regedit and manually do the fix you found as batch file on that web site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users