Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running High VM and Mem Us... causing system hang ups

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Blondbish21

Blondbish21

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:15 AM

Ok I am having problems with my Virtual Memory and my Memory Usage running high and causes my preformance of my computer to freeze, hang... run slowly. In turn I see my Page file usage history run also high. Then my browser (I have tried them all... opera, firefox, chrome, sea monkey and IE) to become unresponsive and have to end process and watch my cpu drop from 100% to under 5% in a blink of an eye. Then I restart. This happens at least 5 times a day. This has been an ongoing problem for me for months now.

I have done everything to clean up my PC.
-disk cleanup (daily)
-Disk defrag (weekly)
-error checking
-virus scan
-spyware
-adware
-cache
-cookies
-browsing history

Very frustraghting to deal with and I hope you can help me fix this.

My computer is:
compaq presario SR2020NX
XP Media Center Edition
SP3
AMD Athlon 64 Processor
512mb memory
2.20GHz, 448 MB of RAM
Using only 16.7GB of my 140 GB hard drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:36 AM

That system supports a maximum of 2GB of RAM, while you have 512MB installed.

A system that has few programs running...can exist and run well on 512MB of RAM and use XP. As the user begins to install more programs, which use up more system resources...the initial installed RAM may prove to be inadequate for efficient use of the system.

So the first thing I would suggest is...uninstall any programs which you don't really use.

The next thing I suggest...take a look at the programs you actually do use...and eliminate those which are not truly necessary...because you don't have the resources to support such. My favorite candidates for elimination include programs like MS Office, iTunes, Adobe anything, Real Player, Symantec anything, etc.

Looking at the software which originally came on that system, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3245048, I would have uninstalled most of those applications as soon as I booted my system initially.

Lastly...check your virtual memory settings for XP.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5006028_check-virtual-memory.html

Ensure that there are no maximum/minimum amounts and that XP is managing your virtual memory.

As an alternative to the suggestions above...you could always increase the RAM installed in the system.

Louis

#3 Blondbish21

Blondbish21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:24 PM

Hamluis or Louis which ever you prefer :thumbsup: Thank you

I deleted quite a few things and so far so good.

But later this evening I started up my PC and now I have some type of questionable malware or Trojan that my anti virus picked up... So that is my next task. :flowers:

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users