Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multi OS, Storage Hard Drive, Issues?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Comrade Penguin

Comrade Penguin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:26 PM

Hello, greetings, etc.

Thank you for viewing my post.

Anyway, I have a question concerning the storage and retrieval of data on a single hard drive with a single partition by more than one OS. That is solely Windows based Operating Systems only.

For example, an individual has a multiple OS system, say Windows 7 and Windows XP Pro, both are 64-bit, and both stored on a hard drive, with their respective partitions dividing that hard drive. This is the boot hard drive.

Now, add a second hard drive, one with only a single partition and no OS. This hard drive acts as the storage hard drive for all large data. It also acts as the location where programs are installed for either OS. The OS have their programs divided simply by folders designated for the OS.
Say...

XP/Programs
Win7/Programs

You get the idea.

Continuing on, I am curious what issues this could cause, if any. How the two different OS's using a single hard drive to store information could become a problem in the future.

Any ideas?
"Is that my anti-static wrist strap you're wearing?"
"I should think not."
"I should think I will knock your head from your shoulders in a joust!"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

It can happen, but...I would not do it :thumbsup:.

I believe that any version of Windows functions better if the programs are installed on the same partition as the O/S...there's no reason that I can think of not to do that.

Putting the program files for two different O/Ses which are on a different hard disk...on the same hard drive as you have described...seems to me to be unnecessarily precarious in the event of hard drive failure. In fact, since you have two hard drives...I would put each O/S (with program files) on a separate drive, rather than put both on the same hard drive.

Unless you are using tiny hard drives...you are going to have a great deal of space on any drive used to install an O/S. If you don't use such for installing programs...what is that space going to be used for? If you say "data files", then why put data files on the same hard drive as the O/S...when that results in the slowest access of such data files? And you've made system functioning even slower by putting programs where Windows does not expect to find them.

Any hard drive which has no O/S on it...will be visible/useable by XP, Vista, Win 7...if it's NTFS file system. Use of the FAT file system has limitations. See Chart.

Just my approach...

Whichever approach you choose to take...please remember to provide for the two most important considerations (IMO): Backup/cloning the system partition and reinstalling/repairing the O/S. These items are often overlooked by users until it's too late for a rational approach.

Louis

#3 Comrade Penguin

Comrade Penguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:23 AM

Thank you for your reply Louis, it is much appreciated.

And I believe that you are probably right in that programs are accessed faster if kept in the same partition as the Active partition.

However, let us now remove the variable of Program files from the topic and instead leave to only data pertaining to storage like text documents, photos, movies, music, etc.

What issues may occur when both OS's access the same files?

Any issues?

Yes, these are NTFS file systems, sorry I did not include that before.
The size of the hard drives is not a variable in this scenario.
"I should think not."

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

No problems out of the ordinary ones that can take place.

Data files on a different hard drive...can be accessed by XP, Vista, and Win 7. I have a system that multiboots XP and Win 7, with 2 corresponding data drives...accessed by either at any time.

Louis

#5 Comrade Penguin

Comrade Penguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:15 AM

Well, that's very useful information. :thumbsup:

Storing data is fine and can be accessed by any OS, however, installed programs should remain with their corresponding Active Partition.

Thank you for your time, it is much appreciated.
"I should think not."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users