Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Problems With Errors And Freezing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 spiritfox

spiritfox

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:18 PM

I have a computer with windows 98 on it. It used to run fine but recently it ahs been very slow and freezes everytime without fail it usually freezes when i try to get on the internet or open anything, I think it might had lots of errors or viruses but i do not know and cant stay unfrozen long enough to download one from the internet, is there some way to completly clear the ocmputer so i can put everything on again?? I also do not have a system restore disk so i do not know what to do can someone please help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:43 PM

First I would like to :thumbsup: you to BC.
Could you tell me what kind of anti-spyware and anti-virus you are using, and is it up to date.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 spiritfox

spiritfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:49 PM

First I would like to :thumbsup: you to BC.
Could you tell me what kind of anti-spyware and anti-virus you are using, and is it up to date.

I really have no idea but is on a network with our other computer which has norton anti but i do not know if it carries over

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:56 PM

Sorry for the questions, but are you on a home network or a work network?

#5 Elixer

Elixer

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:17 AM

Hi there,

The most common cause of computer problems, slow downs, and system freezes these days are Malware, which refers to Spyware and Viruses that may have infected your computer. In many cases, even common prevention applications fail to protect you against things are designed to trick consumers into accepting them onto their computer.

Here are things you should try.

1. Disable all of the startup items for diagnostic. After you have them disabled, do some testing with your computer. Basically, try to recreate the symptom. If the problem is gone, then you know for sure that it was one of the startup items listed in MSCONFIG. Then you can go in and enouble a group of items at a time to narrow in on what is actually causing the problem.

2. In some cases, MSCONFIG doesn't list all the items that are loaded in your machine, especially some really bad ones. Typically Malware/Spyware loads itself directly in the registry. If you are comfortable with working within the registry, startup items are located here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MICROSOFT > WINDOWS > CURRENT VERSION > RUN

Good luck,

Bill
Resident Geek

"There is an answer to every question, but is there an answer to every problem?"

#6 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:12 AM

Definitely a case for a complete Spyware and Virus scan since OP doesn't even know if there is an anti-spyware program installed. OP will have to disconnect the system from the Network, get an anti-spyware program installed (probably have to use another computer to download it), and run it initially as it is. That may clean off enough to let the system get on the Internet. Next the Anti-spyware program should be updated and re-run to get rid of the rest of the malware.

Ditto for an antivirus program. Don't rely on the Norton on the network.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 10:35 PM

If your subscription to Norton has expired I would recommend uninstalling Norton, and installing one of these two AntiVirus and all of the AntiSpyware.
Once loaded run them from Safe Mode for max effect.

AVG Free Edition Antivirus(I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial

This is a clean up utility. Unless you are an advanced user, use it with the default options.

cCleaner

The is a firewall. Free but very effective.

Sygate 5.4

What proccessor and how much RAM do you have?

Edited by acklan, 28 October 2005 - 10:38 PM.

#8 spiritfox

spiritfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 06:54 PM

i will try to download those programs but isme what are you talking about when you say OP and elixer how do i disable startup items?

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:06 PM

Go to START>RUN>MSCONFIG>STARTUP tab. This is a list of most of what is running on your computer. Uncheck the items you want to stop at start up. Then hit apply.

Edited by acklan, 30 October 2005 - 07:07 PM.

#10 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:37 AM

i will try to download those programs but isme what are you talking about when you say OP and elixer how do i disable startup items?

OP is the orignator of the topic or Original Poster ... easier than trying to remember the name :thumbsup:

Agreed with what was said about Norton above ... I've read about too many problems caused indirectly by Norton being on a system. And since there is a viable althernative out there - which happens to be free - why not use it. I use AVG. Avast is also good.

Edited by IsMe, 31 October 2005 - 11:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users