Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP damaged by Malware

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gleefulevil

gleefulevil

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

Hi. Looking for some help restoring, if possible, Windows XP.

Computer was infected with AV security software. i foolishly rebooted in preparation to remove the malware, and found myself in the endless rebooting cycle. I disabled automatic restart and came up with the code STOP:0x0000006f. I used my Windows XP CD to CHKDSK several times. Sometimes it found errors, saying one or more volumes on the drive were damaged, sometimes it said it was fine. I CHKDSK /r twice and still found myself in the rebooting cycle. I used recovery console and rebuilt the boot.ini, used Fixboot, and created a new MBR. I still found myself in the boot cycle so I used the XP CD to do an in-place upgrade to restore the basic files. During this attempt, I received several errors saying that the proper file, typically ending in DLL, could not be found on the disc, and the setup aborted. I tried again, ignoring the error messages this time and the install was more of a success. I was able to load windows. I removed AV security off my computer first by updating Malwarebytes and Superantispyware, d/c from the internet and performing full scans with both several times. That is where my machine is now, up and working, but crippled. I'm getting error messages left and right, typically when i'm trying to open programs. Internet explorer does not work, but Firefox does. Windows firewall no longer exists on my computer. Quicktime is disabled, along with Aol. I'm getting the icon saying "this copy of Windows is not up to date," but I cant update windows through the Microsoft website, or the security center. I'm sure there are other problems I've yet to discover. I'm fairly competent enough to know some of these are registry problems, but I really have no idea how to proceed with correcting these problems. I seek instruction. 0.o M

EXACT ERRORS:

Internet Explorer - Procedure entry point SetDLLDirectoryW could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll

Windows Defender - Needs Windows installer 3.1 or later.

When i try to update Windows I get the same error message as IE.

Apple Quicktime crashes, gives no error code, and closes

XP Firewall - "Windows firewall settings could not be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start windows firewall sharing (ICS)" and after clicking "Yes," it says "Service could not start."

Some random program I tried "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem." - It doesn't.

Aol sends up an error message each time I sign on, and when opening each email.

And under system properties, no information about my computer is displayed.

These are a few of the quirks I've discovered and that continue. As a follow up to your previous question, I've noted the fact that the performance continues to suffer. Applications take several minutes to load and begin working, streaming online video is impossible to watch due to lag and stagger. When I Reboot, the machine takes upwards of 10 minutes to restart and show the user selection screen, and a full 15 - 20 to get to the desktop. XD

On another forum thread, I was given http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#RI.

So my first question is, what do I do if I already have Recovery Console Installed? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:17 AM

Link to malware thread, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic329702-15.html.

So, it appears that malware has been eliminated from consideration, although the effects of malware may remain.

<<On another forum thread, I was given http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinst...htm#RI.>>

The link by Mr. Stevens...is the one that I consider to be basic guidance for doing a repair install on a system with XP installed. This guidance was written for users who have bonafide MS XP install CDs which reflect the same SP as the system does.

It is not written to cover OEM (HP, Lenovo, etc.) systems which came with restore/recovery CDs, since the manufacturers of these systems employ restore/recovery methods which do not equate to those available to a user with a Genuine XP CD from Microsoft.

System manufacturer and model, please? I don't see that info provided anywhere either in your malware thread or your summary here.

<<So my first question is, what do I do if I already have Recovery Console Installed?>>

The XP Recovery Console...has nothing to do with doing a repair install, if that is your goal.

Neither the XP Recoveery Console nor a repair install...is necessarily effective on a system that has been infected...depends on the damage to the system and the nature of the problems on the system. A repair install is an attempt to overcome issues which have to do with O/S files which may have become damaged or which are missing...only an attempt. It's the last step to try before doing a clean install, IMO.

A repair install is not effective on a system with hardware issues.

If you provide some info about your system and the disk that you refer to as "Windows XP CD", it will become easier to see what options you have for repair efforts.

Louis

#3 gleefulevil

gleefulevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:38 AM

Hi. System is a Dell Dimension 4400. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition re-installation CD provided by Dell.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:57 AM

Reinstalling Windows XP on Dell Systems

Louis

#5 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:36 AM

I wouldn't even bother with a restore. Once infected with a virus the best bet is to wipe your drive and start over with a fresh install of the OS.

#6 gleefulevil

gleefulevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:29 AM

It is not currently infected with anything. That being the case, could i just copy my C drive onto another disk, and reinstall a clean XP?

#7 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:48 AM

I wouldn't copy the entire drive. Just copy your data. Most common location is your My Documents folder and Desktop. If you have any games, be sure to copy the profiles/saved games on those so you don't lose them.

Also, if your Dell came with a driver CD then use it to reinstall drivers. If it didn't, go to Dell's website first and download them. Burn them to CD.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...;l=en&s=gen

If you put in the Dell service tag it will provide you only the drivers that you need for your system.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:58 AM

If you do reinstall XP, and you use an email client (Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, Thundebird, etc) you will also need to back up your mail if there are any messages you don't want to lose.

You can also export your address book for saving, then after the reinstall import it back into your client.

#9 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:43 AM

If you do reinstall XP, and you use an email client (Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, Thundebird, etc) you will also need to back up your mail if there are any messages you don't want to lose.

You can also export your address book for saving, then after the reinstall import it back into your client.

Good points. I sometimes forget those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users