Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Earthlink problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

I worked on a friend's laptop, a little HP Pavillion. It needed a major cleanup and deletion of unused prgrams that were clogging up the system. I downloaded REVO Uninstaller program free version.

I got it all cleaned up except for Earthlink ISP & e-mail. I set her up with a new ISP and e-mail handler, did a full uninstall of Earthlink through REVO. This uses the individual program's uninstallers and then it goes back in and finds all the orphan files so they can be deleted as well. I did so and completely removed Earthlink and all files, no files showed up on a search.

I tested the new ISP & e-mail and it was working fine, and was set as the default e-mail program, with no other present. Gave her back the computer. Went over 2 days later and she said she hadn't tried to use computer yet, so I fired it up to explain what I had done, and demonstrate the new e-mail through Outlook Express.

Impossible to connect. Somehow Earthlink had downloaded three new files and had taken over the e-mail again, and become the default program. She called them to cancel service but they refused, insisting that she leave theirs installed "...for awhile, until you see if you like the new service..." They would not take no for an answer and steadfastly refused to cancel her service.

I set up the other program again and got it working successfully as default, but unknown for how long. Cannot use REVO uninstaller to remove their new files because they didn't install the whole program so REVO can't see it.

Any way to padlock the door against a very stubborn company who refuses to let her use her choice of e-mail and ISP subscriptions?

Thanks!
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users