Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Options--Advanced Settings

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:44 PM

I would like to know more about the advanced settings--I understand some, but not all--is there a good resoursce for this?? I saw a post by a member suggesting unchecking of the two "install on demand entries" What does that pertain to?? :thumbsup:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 06 October 2004 - 11:51 PM

That's a good question, Ed, one I'll get started answering, but the full answer will elude me. Begin at the General tab. Home page. Default is naturally MSN or the like. Current will be whatever you cut/paste into place or type in. It better be a URL, though, or all heck 'll break out tryin' to get it to work. When it's working , the current button will be faded. Hopefully, you'll choose something a little less busy & complicated...slow to load, that is... than Yahoo or MSN. Hit the blank button and your load will be lightnin' fast. Kinda dull, though.

Temporary Internet Files?

Delete cookies...too bad it's an all or nothin' decision, huh?
Delete Temporary Internet Files... all or none, again? hmmm Just how useful are those files, you beg to ask. I delete 'em frequently, and oh, well. Sometimes it takes firefox a few extra seconds for a page to resolve. On dialup. Remember I am not a "Champion Web Surfer", though.

onto another button: Settings.
Stored pages? Has some usefullness, I guess, but to me the pages online that I use change daily, so why "go fast" to an out-of-date page?
Disk Space: Default setting here grabs disk space...enough to last a quarter century at my use factor. I thought maybe it was a special feature to satisfy the crackers & data miners through backdoors more than me. I reset it to 10 MB's and think that's outrageously generous.

View Files? Just try. The most bewildering array of classically obfuscated windows pile I have ever seen happens when you try to "view a file here" this is perplexing

View objects? This is clear enough. Windows update now requires an object shown here. A companion windows program, too. But which is 1.4.2.04? Which is 1.4.2.05, the updated version that Java says, oh, just put it on top of the older version. MS, with the new improved NTFS 32 character file name feature (if not 64, I lose track) certainly doesn't go overboard in file ID when it's Sun Microsystems Files, do they? Come on, can't I delete the old one?

So, you get my drift. Yes, it's a great question. A long tutorial for novices, I'd venture to say. It's a start, though...

I saw a post by a member suggesting unchecking of the two "install on demand entries" What does that pertain to??

yup, it gets deeper, Ed. No promises, but I'll try to check on that tomorrow. :thumbsup: it's tough bein' a student, even without the heavy books to lug around, huh

Edited by phawgg, 06 October 2004 - 11:53 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 EdBee

EdBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:53 PM

Hey Phaqgg!!!!

http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/21026/21026.html

I don't know yet how to quickly transfer a link form one forum to another--Maybe someday---anyway this site has detailed info about security settings on MSIE

Thanks to tq1911--

Edited by EdBee, 07 October 2004 - 04:59 PM.

EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 07 October 2004 - 05:51 PM

EdBee,
To copy a link:

Firefox:
1. Right click the link.
2. Select Copy Link Location.
3. When composing your post, click the http:// button, at the top.
4. Right click on the box, and select Paste, then OK.
5. In the next box, you can either Paste again, or type in whatever you want. This is what appears in the final post.
6. Click OK, and it will appear in the post you're composing.

Internet Explorer:
In step 2 above, select Copy Shortcut instead of Copy Link Location.
Everything else is the same.

Edited by tg1911, 07 October 2004 - 05:52 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 EdBee

EdBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2004 - 09:40 AM

Thanks Tq--I think that is about what I have been doing-just not very sure of myself--I am very busy learning/relearning HTML so someday I will be better able to manipulate the data in and around the net and BBs etc.--I used the link you put up re. MSIE security settings--one thing I don't like is to be changing settings in programs (browsers) and having no clue why or what it does. It is my experience in this computer business that such a thing usually comes back to bite you later--Thank You Tq (may I be so bold as to abreviate your name?) :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 08 October 2004 - 10:41 AM

Thank You Tq (may I be so bold as to abreviate your name?)

You're welcome. Glad I could help.
You can call me anything you want.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users