Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed Boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WoJ

WoJ

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:55 PM

I'm having the same exact issue with my pavilion ze4500 with windows XP (Computer powers on, loads HP black startup screen (where it says to press ESC to change boot order, F2 for setup, etc.) then changes to a black screen where this text appears “Initializing MBA press ctrl +alt+B” after that it goes to another black screen with the “PXE-XXX media test failure, check cable” error (among other text, something about “Argon Pre-boot Bios….”) and after striking a key it comes to a black screen with only the words “Operating system Not Found” on it, with no options.

These are the events leading up to the above; It all started when I tried to upgrade to Windows 7. I needed to do a fresh install (had some weird malware preventing me from being able to set a wallpaper) so I deleted both existing partitions and created the new before proceeding with the install. After the install, windows 7 had a terrible time loading (all the graphics were distorted and system moved very slow, couldn’t see the task bar or hardly anything for that matter, as if all drivers were missing or something) and after it finally appeared to be loaded, none of my hardware was recognized when I checked system info. At that point I couldn’t think of anything else to do so I took my XP startup CD and did a clean install of that (deleted existing partitions and created one new one) XP had to reformat my HD in order to do this, so I let it. I got all the way done with the XP setup and windows booted normally, but for whatever reason the accounts I “set up” (all I did was put a name in the field for the account name) were asking for a password, which I never set up. So I was stuck once again, this time at the log in screen with no ability to log in. I decided that maybe I missed something during set up and inadvertently set up a password, so I tried doing yet another clean install, however this time when I rebooted to do the install, the above started happening, the computer booted to the HP startup screen, but never asked to boot from CD, just went right to this Initializing MBA screen and so on. No matter what settings I choose in my bios setup, this is the result. It appears that bios recognizes my hard drive, so I’m thinking that it should be just fine, but I’ve read a lot of comments about the HD being bad as a possible cause to this error. (Among many other possibilities!)

This is what I’ve tried doing so far;

Reset bios setup options to default,
Tried various ways of using the “reset” button on the bottom of the laptop to reset the bios,
Changing boot order through setup/esc key, no matter what the order is it still goes to the error screen, (I can’t figure out how to “remove” one of the options from the boot order, I read some suggestions that stated to remove the boot to lan option from this, not sure how to.
Off of the HP website (Specifically the ze4500 model troubleshooting section) it said when receiving the “operating system not found” error you need to test the HD, to do this it says to hold F10 while powering on the PC, then to let go once text appears, this did absolutely nothing whatsoever! To get to the bios setup you have to use F2, not F10, so I don’t know what they are trying to pull there. When I press F10 at start up it does say “Starting diagnostic” but then ends up going to the same damn error screen above after a short pause.
Physically removing hard drive & battery to check connections, pins are fine, connections seem fine (didn’t take anything else apart)
Booting from the OS startup disk and the “recovery” disks provided to me from the manufacturer, for some reason the drive lights up and spins, but the system never asks me to boot from CD, nor does it boot from CD on its own.

It sounds from this post that my CMOS battery may need replaced? After looking at the procedure, it’s not something I really want to just “try” doing without being sure it will correct the problem. So anyone have any advice for me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:25 PM

Please...don't hijack someone else's thread or add posts re your situation to an older thread..it's so easy to start your own. I split this from the topic you posted to.

Computer situations are seldom (IMO) exactly the same and starting your own thread is probably the best way to get the assistance you are seeking.

You have not run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic yet...nor have you replaced the CMOS battery. Those items have been offered as the two prominent ways of overcoming the attempted network boot.

If your system is a desktop...replace the CMOS battery.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp. Ignore instructions to write down settings...these are old instructions from a previous era when that was necessary. Just remember that...after the battery has been changed, you must reset the date/time data on the main CMOS/BIOS screen and then check your boot options...then save the changed settings by hitting F10.

Louis

#3 WoJ

WoJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:05 AM

Understood, and thanks for splitting.

Does anyone know the procedure for "running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic" for my setup? As stated before, the instruction from HP did absolutely nothing for me. My system is a laptop so I guess the battery issue is out of the question?

Edited by WoJ, 28 July 2010 - 10:14 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:49 PM

What model HP laptop?

Perhaps your manual will reveal the location of the battery in question...as well as provide some insight into mechanisms HP may have implemented for diagnostic/repair efforts.

Louis

#5 WoJ

WoJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

Pavillion ze4500

The manual I have is just the setup manual, none of the documentation I have can assist. But as stated before when I looked up the troubleshooting for this model on HP's website it gave instruction to hold down the F10 key when powering on the pc, this was supposed to start the diagnostic. It did absolutely nothing.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...ct=385178#N1031

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...;product=385178

Louis

#7 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

does XXX is E61???

"PXE-E61: Media Test Failure" Error Message Appears On Black Screen
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...;product=385178

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#8 WoJ

WoJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for the links, I'll have to take a closer look later tonight.

I'm really confused as to why all of these suggestions say to hold F10 during power up or press F10 to get to the bios setup utility when I definitely have to hit F2 to get there, and when I do there is no "tools" tab anywhere in my version of the utility nor any diagnostic's whatsoever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users