Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac Os X - Stalling

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wadewest

wadewest

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 04:01 PM

I have a Mac OS X 10.2.8 (6R73) with a 40GB 7200rpm. This iMac is about 5 years old that has already had two harddrive replacements. The problem is that the computer stalls whenever I try to open a folder or a program (other than IE). This mainly occurs on my account (there are four accounts) and I am not the admin. I thought this was caused because of the amount of free space on the computer (5 gb). I tried deleting files, yet when I dragged them to the trash, the computer would stall for a minute or so, then tell me that an error had occured.
Usually when I start the computer from shut down, it stalls also. A system folder with a question mark also sometimes shows up when I startup the computer.
I basically want to figure out how to delete items on my computer. I really think that the problem is that there isn't enough free space (It has worked perfectly in the past when I've deleted files and have had about 10 gb of free space).

I went on another website, and they told me my hard drive is pretty much fried, but before I replace it, maybe I can follow some instructions/give you some more info on my computer.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wadewest

wadewest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:08 PM

reply please

#3 badmonkey

badmonkey

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:08 AM

Are you getting the stalls in the other accounts as well? You said something along those lines, but I just want to make sure. It could be just corrupted preference files (.plist files located in ~/Library/Preferences).

When was the last time you verified permissions and did a disk repair (found under DiskUtilities)?

If your hard drive is SMART enabled, what does it say (open up DiskUtilities)?

How old is the hard drive. If this is your third and the computer is only 5 years old it can't be really that old - so I doubt you would have such bad luck and get yet another broken one.

Post back about the above questions just to see and then there is a brute force way of deleting files which involves the Terminal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users