Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting To The Internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 clank

clank

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:50 PM

Hi,
Running XP with sp2 and Outlook express, Have just run a registry cleaner, on rebooting , all was fine , when I connect to the internet with wanadoo anytime it does as it use to do, connects but my traffic lights have gone, they are or should I say were two reds lights which both turn green when Iam totally connected, they were at the bottom of the screen near the clock . also it use to make a sort of nice dialing tone (as it said dialing ) but all is quiet now, There are still the two TV screens there flashing as it connects, all works fine no bother just wondering whats happened, and can I get it back. Clank :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:41 PM

Have you disabled any of your startup programs recently?

#3 clank

clank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:02 AM

Have you disabled any of your startup programs recently?

How can I lie with that face of yours looking straight at me Grinler :thumbsup:

I can honestly say no, they were there before the registry clean out but gone when I rebooted it
Clank

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:03 PM

The face is a little scary :thumbsup: My wife hates it!

Something tells me that the registry cleaner cleaned out the entries that started the programs that showed your connectivity :flowers:

Was this little screen with the dots, like a small rectangular modem with 2 dots that turn green and red? Just trying to get a good idea whats happening. Does it look like the attached image?

Reinstalling the wanadoo software "may" bring these programs back.

Attached Files

#5 clank

clank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:42 PM

HI,
Yes iy was like your two joined TV sets and the missing item was a rectangulat box with red dots in that turn green when it connects,
Anyway I have solved the problem,
I did a back up before I ran the registry clean up,
For the next few times that I turned the computer on after the registry clean up , within 5 minuted the screen went black and froze up. The only way I could turn it off was manually. So I reienstated the original registry. and so far so good with some of the old problems (which I am sorting out in other forums, Thanks Clank : :thumbsup:

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:47 PM

Clank,

So you know. Next time that happens you can go into the control panel. Double-click on the network connections icon. Right click on your connection and set it to Show icon in notification area when connected.

#7 clank

clank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 05:30 PM

Clank,

So you know. Next time that happens you can go into the control panel. Double-click on the network connections icon. Right click on your connection and set it to Show icon in notification area when connected.

how do you know all this ? your not Grinler your a genius, Thanks for the help
Clank
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users