Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet WebCam -- is it possible?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Pike

Captain Pike

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

I was all psyched up, I have a, sort of, home-theater-computer: it's just a PC running XP on my local network connected to our television in the living room by means of the S. video port.

I assumed if I connected a WebCam to that PC, then I could access its data in real time over the network here in our house. I'm simply using Microsoft's network supporting features. This allows me to "farm out" a large hard drive I have here in the office, as well as our printer, to this network. That way, I can play movies stored on this hard drive using the living room computer. I realize this sounds a little complicated. I was thinking I would connect a WebCam to the living room computer, facing out to our front yard. That way, I could see folks pulling in the yard from the office, as soon as all the dogs start barking.

Installing the WebCam on the living room computer was easy. I clicked properties and was dismayed to discover I can't offer this device up on the network. Obviously, there is software I could use -- create a website on the living room computer suppose. But is there no way I can access this WebCam from a different computer connected to the network?

Any pointers offered will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 danny1990

danny1990

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

Yes it is possible but you will have to download software

here is one site you can try http://www.yawcam.com/
requires java goto http://java.com to check your java is upto date

if you want to run a website you can download xampp webserver http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Edited by danny1990, 27 July 2010 - 04:15 PM.

#3 Captain Pike

Captain Pike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:47 AM

Thank you Danny! I am investigating the first link you recommend.
Ultimately, the second link you provided would be infinitely useful.
I have this little cabin up in the woods, far away. What I want to do is have a small server computer there, which I can remotely access over the Internet to have a look around the place, make sure everything's okay.
Camp CAM!
Wouldn't that be cool? Of course, I would need a steady Internet connection, which is a whole 'nother project.

I am really intrigued by the concept of satellite Internet. It's still pretty pricey, and there are hitches with latency, etc. but what a cool idea: a solar powered hut out in the boonies that has a great Internet connection! The hermit on the web! I'm telling you, it's an anarchist's dream?

#4 Captain Pike

Captain Pike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

Bravo for the simplistic design of YAWcam, and Java application. I'm up and running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users