Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About Leaktests.....?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 voltronDefender

voltronDefender

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:48 PM

Hi;

I heard about GRC ShieldsUP!..and got curious..Never really tried it out though I am using a firewall. I just forego it.
Hoping to understand it better, I decided to ask your opinions on this..leaktest. There are a lot of questions here I hope I won't bore you guys here. A lot are very basic to you gurus but I'd really like to learn more..(this is new to me..thank you). Here goes:

What is a leaktest? Is it only on firewalls or the whole system?

Is there only one type or there are others?(I saw Comodo leaktest/Matousec's but you have to download it to your pc..unlike GRC's which is online...)

Why is there a need for it (leaktest)?

Is there a second opinion testing or a second opinion leaktest?

What's the difference with Comodo leaktest and GRCShieldsUP! I also saw Matousec's and found out they have also a leaktest but you have to download it unlike GRC's....Is this(Matousec's) for only grading firewalls they rate at their site or can I use that privately here at home? There was a PCFlank but when I tried to download it my AV says it's a virus.

Is it safe to use that one that you can download like Matousec's/Comodo/PCFlank? I'm afraid my system will go whack if I use it/them...

Can you give me some iapproaches on how to use leaktest?

What's the best approach to pass a leaktest?

If you don't avail of the leaktest, what maybe be additional secure ways to be safe online?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

I'll try to do this in order of the questions:

1. The Leak test only tests the firewall.

2. I don't find the ones that are downloaded useful. You have to allow them to run, which automatically (usually) makes firewall rules for them, and defeats the purpose of the test.

3. With most good up to date firewalls, it probably isn't needed. Unused ports are stealthed, and if you restrict your firewall too much, you may not be able to connect. Most firewalls are configured for safe access, and maximum security.

4. I'm sure it is safe to use any of the tools on Matousec's site. They may show as malicious because of the nature of the tool. It is trying to do something that your antivirus and firewall disapprove of.

5. If you connect to the internet via a router, the results may not be accurate anyway. The NAT router hides your presence on the internet, and uses a public IP address. Many of these types of tests give you results on the router firewall instead of on your own firewall.

To stay safe, use a good security suite with a two-way firewall, keep your browser updated, keep all vulnerabilities patched, avoid clicking on links even in what seems to be a safe web page. A NAT router if you have one is a very good first line of defense.

#3 voltronDefender

voltronDefender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

Hi Blathnat;

Thanks for the reply.

Been waiting fr somebody to reply to my post a long time now...appreciate the explanations.

I tried GRCShieldUP and was glad to have a green result "True Stealth" as it says with both dial-up/DSL(without router). Have not tried it with a router still.

I also tried out HackerWacker an got a good result also no open ports and good stealth results.

Comodo Leaktest I am having trouble doing it because my AV is blocking it as a trojan...my firewall is also blocking it's access.(as you have mentioned in #4)

Anyway, I think the results from the 2 leaktest sites are enough.....is it?

Thanks for the reply!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users