Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Connectivity Issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Logik

Logik

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:14 PM

Hi guys! I'm trying to connect my girlfriend's PC to SBC DSL service. She's running XP Home SP 1a on a Dell 2.4Ghz Pentium 4 with 512 MB RAM and an on-board Broadcom NIC. The DSL service uses a SpeedStream 4100 DSL modem. The Installer disc couldn't see the modem connected to the PC, nor could IE browse 192.168.0.1 or http://dslmodem to access the modem directly. Manually renewing the IP address through the command prompt also proved unsuccessful as DHCP requests would time out.

At first I did some spyware and virus scans. The system was riddled in viruses and spyware from their naive AOL dial-up days, so I cleaned all that up. Still no luck. I booted in Safe Mode w/ network support and still nothing. So I brought over my PC that I knew had fully functioning TCP/IP services and I was able to connect straight to the modem with no hangups, so I'm sure the problem is with her PC.

My next step was to load up Bart's Preinstalled Environment (Tech 182's September build) and bypass the OS entirely to see if the problem was software or hardware related. BartPE couldn't connect through either the integrated NIC nor the SMC USB NIC that I've tested and know is functional. I disabled the integrated NIC through the BIOS and tried again through just the USB NIC with no luck. That leads me to believe that this is somehow a hardware problem, although the source of it baffles me.

My final step was to run pings, traces, and port scans in the PE. It turns out that there are only two ports open...135 and 164. I ran it again it XP and got the same result. There are no software firewalls installed, and the cable run is straight to the modem, which has been reset to factory defaults twice already and hasn't had it's configuration changed at all. (Mainly because I can't access it in order to do so, heh.)

So now I'm at a total loss. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here. I tried to be as informative as I could in this post, but if I'm missing anything important, let me know and I'll promptly provide it. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:40 PM

The ports "really" shouldnt matter when it comes to this. Not even sure what port 164 is. You may want to do a google for fport and run it froma console to see what program is using that port.

Have you made sure that the DHCP service is enabled ?

#3 Logik

Logik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:59 AM

The ports "really" shouldnt matter when it comes to this. Not even sure what port 164 is. You may want to do a google for fport and run it froma console to see what program is using that port.

Have you made sure that the DHCP service is enabled ?

Well I didn't check the IP assigned to my PC when I connected it to the modem, but I was able to contact the modem interface with no problem...I couldn't even reach that point on her PC. On top of that, I did spend some time on the phone with SBC technical support, I can only hope that if they were experiencing DHCP problems that they would have made me aware. :thumbsup: (It's a single port modem, so I'm guessing that the assigned IP is public and via SBC not the modem.)

She has nearly 10 GB of data that she really doesn't want to lose, and neither of us have access to a DVD-R without a bit of a hassle, so tomorrow I'm just going to bring over a spare HDD and install a fresh copy of XP on it and see what happens. If it works, (which I'm doubting, but one can hope) I'll just let her keep it.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:17 PM

I can only hope that if they were experiencing DHCP problems that they would have made me aware.

A tech support person at a cable/dsl company being open and honest? :thumbsup:

When you say you were able to contact the modem interface on the modem what do you mean? Are the ip addresses being assigned to the computers private ips (192.x.x.x) and the modem is doing nat?

#5 Logik

Logik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:21 PM

I can only hope that if they were experiencing DHCP problems that they would have made me aware.

A tech support person at a cable/dsl company being open and honest? :thumbsup:

When you say you were able to contact the modem interface on the modem what do you mean? Are the ip addresses being assigned to the computers private ips (192.x.x.x) and the modem is doing nat?

I'm going to check that out tonight, but given that there's only one port on the modem and no USB connection, I'm leaning towards the idea that I'd be assigned the sole public IP by SBC and not a private one through the modem... (That was one of the things I forgot to check...what IP I had been assigned when I connected to the modem.)

And by contacting the modem, I mean pointing my browser to both http://192.168.0.1 and http://dslmodem and successfully connecting and being able to navigate their interface. I can't do that on her machine, regardless of whether it's through XP or my preinstalled environment.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:45 PM

Hmm...if you are connecting to 192.168.0.1 then the DSL modem is probably acting as a NAT device, and your workstation will be assigned an address from the modem in the 192.168.0.x range. Then on the wan side of the modem will be the actual public address.

You may want to, if possible, reset the modem to manufacturers defaults if possible. Another thing to try to test the workstation is to assign an ip address in the range of 192.168.0.x (like 192.168.0.10) and see if you can get to the modem then. Dont forget to make the computers default gw to 192.168.0.1.`

#7 Logik

Logik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for all the help, The best I can see, I figured out what the problem was. The cable apparently was too long for her NIC and every NIC I put in it. My NIC could handle the length just fine I guess. I hooked her PC up to a shorter cable in the other room and it connected just fine. So I cut every inch of slack I could off the cable, reterminated and retested it and the connection was fine. :thumbsup:

The rooms are right next to each other though, and I've handled longer runs on older NICs, so I'm still kind of perplexed as to why it would work on mine and not hers, but whatever. It works now. :flowers:

Thanks again.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2005 - 11:34 PM

The RJ45 port on her NIC may be faulty. It could be a loose socket and the reduced signal from the long run of wire maybe just enough to drop the signal. I guess the subject is mute since you have a signal.
Thank you for posting the fix.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users