Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem using Adobe Flash Player

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 brianch

brianch

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

When using IE8 to access certain sites (like farmville.com), I am advised I need to download the latest Adobe Flash Player for my Vista. I did that, and installed the Active X control when prompted, but still am receiving this error. I tried to downgrade to IE7, but that did not resolve the issue (which just started about 2 weeks ago). I just upgraded back to IE8 and still have the problem. What am I doing wrong? All my Internet Options are at default.

I tried removing Flash by itself, all Adobe programs, and all Adobe Programs and IE8, then reinstalled each one by one starting with IE. I am still experiencing this issue. Since it does not occur when using Firefox, I assume it is some security or privacy setting I have enabled, or disabled, but I cannot figure it out.

I also just recently received assistance in a recent BleepingComputer topic for problems with Windows Explorer crashing. That issue was resolved and I have continued, as I was before experiencing any issues, to scan my system regularly with:

Norton Security Suite (Antivirus, Firewall, etc.)
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Spybot - S&D (manual scans, SD Resident, TeaTimer)
Spyware Blaster

What else can I do to resolve this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DevonSchreiner

DevonSchreiner

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:31 PM

One thing to try would be to go to http://adobe.com and click the download Flash and make sure that you do in fact have the latest version installed.
Devon Schreiner
Tech Blog - TheTechBlender.com
Personal Website - DevonSchreiner.com
Twitter - @DevonSchreiner

#3 brianch

brianch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:35 PM

Hi Devon, Thanks for the advice. I've already done that. I actually uninstalled all those programs and re-installed them directly from the Adobe and Microsoft websites. But I still cannot use flashplayer in IE.

#4 DevonSchreiner

DevonSchreiner

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

Alright, to rule out the security option, follow this and see if it helps.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html#main_VerifyIE
Devon Schreiner

#5 brianch

brianch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:37 PM

Devon,

I followed all the steps on that link, but IE still acts like I do not have flash player, or that something is blocking it from working.

#6 DevonSchreiner

DevonSchreiner

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:43 PM

Are you on the computer as an administrator? Try right clicking the IE icon and run as the administrator and see if that will help to show the flash. Maybe has something to do with new user permissions?
Devon Schreiner

#7 brianch

brianch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:55 PM

I am logged in using the admin login (and only login for this computer). I made sure UAC were off. Parental Controls are off. Windows Firewall is off since I use Norton Firewall.

#8 DevonSchreiner

DevonSchreiner

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

Hmmm, I'm not sure to be honest. I obviously have not had enough experience with Vista/Internet Explorer.

You said before that it works with Firefox? I would suggest using that. Not only because of this problem but because it is faster and more secure in general. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Devon Schreiner

#9 brianch

brianch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:49 PM

No worries, Devon. You were very helpful still. Ironically, I work in an online department taking escalated calls for people needing help with my employers website, etc. One of the most used options to resolve issues is advising our customer's use Firefox instead. (The reasoning is simple, it works better and doesn't have the same issues as IE).

But, like some of those annoying customers that insist on answers, I still want to know why it won't work. Maybe I'll get it working eventually. I may just end up doing a system restore.

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

Uninstall the old version of Flash using the uninstall tool at this link and then install the new version.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

#11 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:26 PM

^ Indeed.

Infact, use the Flash Uninstaller to uninstall flash, reinstall IE 8 on your computer and install flash again.

Let us know if this works out.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users