Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Coinciding sound and networking issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Eno Thgirb

Eno Thgirb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:36 PM

My OS is Windows XP Professional and I've been having problems with my sound and network which seem to coincide. May be a coincidence but it's been like this since my computer became infected with AntispywareSoft. I got rid of it but soon after I started having the problems with the networking and audio. The bar at the bottom of the screen turned from blue to grey without me choosing to do that. The little computer monitor icon for the network connection would come up as "acquiring network address" but would keep doing that, neither showing connection or lack of connection. At the same time the sound would not work and if I tried to play a song or something an error message would appear. Usually, restarting the computer would sort the problem out and I'd have a network connection and the sound would work. Over the last couple of days, though, the problem won't desist despite restarting over and over again. It's been taking a long time for the OS to start up, too. I can only access the internet in Safe Mode with Networking.

Regards the sound I looked at Sounds and Audio Devices on Control Panel and in the Hardware section and it says of all the devices "this device is working properly". In Volume it says "no audio device", on Audio it says there are no playback, recording or midi playback devices and in Voice there are neither voice playback nor voice recording devices. Those parts are frozen in gray and there's not an option to switch to a device. I tried playing ZDoom and the sound worked, music and sound effects, so it's not as if the sound card just isn't working I don't think.

So, I'm not really sure what to do about this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eno Thgirb

Eno Thgirb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:07 PM

I got it working again by running Last Good Configuration That Worked, usually after running Safe Mode With Networking. I was using my laptop yesterday and didn't turn it on all day, today I haven't been able to get it running bu using last good configuaration and when i go on network safe mode there's no connectivity. Not sure what to do.

#3 Eno Thgirb

Eno Thgirb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:46 AM

Today I have tried using the System Restore option. I restored it to the 18th and that didn't work and to the sixteenth and it didn't work either. One minor difference was that the network icon didn't come up with acquiring network address and the little dot moving left to right, but the stop sign signifying limited or no connectivity. I saw this and thought, ah, maybe it's sorted it and tried playing a song on windows media player but the sound device was not working and came up with the error message. Starting it in Safe Mode with Networking then starting it with Last Good Configuration that works hasn't been a success either. I tried using debugging mode and that wasn't any use either. I'm kind of running out of options - as before, when playing games the sound does work.

#4 Eno Thgirb

Eno Thgirb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

I found that going into Safe Mode and then starting with Last Known Configuration that Worked brought it back. Then I started creating restore points when the problem resurfaced. Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts. At the moment I'm on my laptop because none of my web browsers work on the other computer, the last one to work was Firefox - now that one doesn't seem to be there. I might try downloading it here and moving it onto the other computer.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:00 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I wanted to reply to you because I did not want you to feel like you were talking to yourself.

I want to ask if you have ever tried running MalwareBytes Anti-Malware?

There could still be some hidden Malware on your hard drive.

Mawarebytes Anti malware http://www.malwarebytes.org/ Download the free version, update and do a FULL scan.

The problems with most computers after they become infected with Malware is the windows registry ends up with corrupted files that Malware tends to change, alter or delete.

I do not recommend the use of registry cleaners to resolve this problem.

One resolution I have found that works is installing the OS over its self.

This is however, successfully accomplished only when the operating system was installed using a retail version of the OS. In your case Windows XP Professional.

If you have the Windows XP Pro installation disk please let me know.

OEM OS installation disks work differently and different procedures have to be used.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users