Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver update failed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 audiO

audiO

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

I recently was told by the new game Starcraft 2 that my driver was out dated and may effect the gameplay of this game. So I decided to go to ATI's website and find my graphics card and upgrade it. When I did that, my computer went ballistic. First it completely went black and a blue screen prompted and said "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." Then after that it started right back up but all my resolution changes were back to like 800x600 (I have a 22.5 inch monitor) and everything was all out of place. It also installed some play lord of the rings online for free?? What the hell is that? I ended up not getting the driver installed and now my computer all messed up from it. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boethe

boethe

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

It looks like the Lord of the Rings tie in is just cross marketing and is not a symptom of a virus or anything malicious. I would not consider it a symptom related to your crash.

LotRo Partnered with ATI

#3 audiO

audiO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

Okay so its nothing malicious but I still dont have an updated driver :/

#4 boethe

boethe

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

What method are you using to determine you graphic card driver was not successfully updated? Is the game still showing the warning and/or are you checking the driver version number through the control panel or some other system tool.

#5 audiO

audiO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

computer>properties>device manager>display adapters. I have a ATI radeon HD 5700 series. When I downloaded it, it was the full catalyst program which I do not see installed on my computer anymore.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:20 PM

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Download drivers and save to desktop. Go to program manager or ADD/REMOVE programs and uninstall ATI drivers and CCC if it is still listed.

Reboot. Install drivers you saved. Do not select the quickie install, select "Custom" so you can uncheck the box to stop that Lord of the Rings crap from installing.

That should do it. If the ATI/CCC uninstaller is corrupted you might need to run a driver sweeper.
http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Good luck.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users