Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help removing Antivir Protection Pro

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Elegos

Elegos

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:43 AM

So I've tried following the guide on BleepingComputer, but I can't boot in safe mode.
When I try to access the advanced menu via F8, I get a small menu that instead asks if I want to boot floppy drive, cd drive, etc. instead of the advanced menu you usually see, with safe mode as an option. I'm unaware of when/why this changed as I've used safe mode previously, but it was a while ago.
I haven't tried using the System Configuration Utility method, as I'm sure it'll just cause the loop mentioned in BleepingComputer's How to start Windows in Safe Mode. And while it does include a solution as to what to do if you enter the loop, it doesn't provide a solution as to how to get into safe mode.
I've tried to run rkill, which I had downloaded previously, but it never gets to the stage where it finishes killing the processes, no matter how many times I run it. Antivir just ends it before that's possible. I can't do a system restore or anything, nor download/run Malbytes. I could get it from this laptop, but I still wouldn't be able to run it.

Help, please? I'm not the most knowledgeable in this kind of thing, so tell me if i've missed anything.

Edit: Using Windows XP btw.

Edited by Elegos, 27 July 2010 - 11:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

FIX SAFE Mode after using MSCONFIG

Please boot in safe mode and see if you can change msconfig back.

How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

If not, locate the following file: c:\windows\pss\boot.ini.backup

Copy that file to c:\

Rename the existing boot.ini to boot.ini.old

Rename boot.ini.backup to boot.ini

Another choice

Let us see if we can get Safe mode to run.

Please download and run SafeBootKeyRepair.exe.

Once it has completed, please try booting into Safe Mode.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users