Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Games?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 os2sam

os2sam

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:27 AM

Is it appropriate to post questions about performance issues with video games?

I seem to have a similar issue with several games on XP Home but when installing the same game on XP Pro they always work correctly.

Just not sure if this is too far afield from virus and malware focus of this site.
Thanks,
Sam

Edited by hamluis, 27 July 2010 - 11:30 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Games ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:01 PM

I doubt its an issue with the Version of windows.
Perhaps they are on different service packs.

You might want to look at the minimum required specifications of the game and see what you are lacking. Perhaps you need to install Direct X 9, Windows 2005 C++ Compatibility pack. ETC.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#3 os2sam

os2sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

That's what everyone keeps telling me is that it has nothing to do with XP Home Edition. But I have two XP Home Edition machines and they both did the same thing. The main machine is an Athlon XP 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM, NVidia FX5200. The other is a Dell Inspiron Core Duo Dual Core 2.2GHz 2GB RAM.

The machine that everything works fine on is a HP/Compaq Laptop Presario V5000 with an AMD Sempron Mobile 2GHz, 512MB RAM and ATI Radeon XPress 200M with XP Media Center which is XP Pro.

So the machine that works is lower end in some aspects than the Athlon system and much lower end than the Dell.

I have used both systems with SP2 and SP3. They have DirectX 9.0c which I believe is the latest/last.

However I'm not familiar with "Windows 2005 C++ Compatibility pack", what is that all about?
Thanks,
Sam

#4 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:33 AM

Try to check the installer of your games and see if they have a folder that says Windows C++ or something.

I resolved most of my games issues by reinstalling my C++ distribution/compatibility pack. You can find it off MS's website.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#5 os2sam

os2sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:51 PM

Could that be the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)" or "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)"?

I couldn't find any references to "Windows 2005 C++ Compatibility pack".
Thanks,
Sam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users