Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Type Inside A Scanned Image In Word Or Other Program?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 help!

help!

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:55 PM

Hi,
I have an image I drew on a piece of paper (a wreath--so it has a hole in the center) and I can scan it into Word, (if that's the best way to do this?) and I want to type in all the available space--so the text will be jagged in many areas around the edges, because the wreath is not a perfect circle; and of course I have to leave the hole in the middle (for a picture when I print it out);

how do I do this?
I can scan my picture of the wreath (it's just an ink drawing), but I think word said it was too big, but it's really not.........although it 's close, so when I scanned it in, it showed these big hug paragraph symbols ?? and weird lines

or is there an easier way to do this? is there a way to set it up in word without scanning, if that's easier, I just don't know how to get the text (which I've already typed in a word document) to make it appear in a wreath shape with a hole in the middle inside a word document; there must be an easier way than what I'm trying!!

thanks so much........I've spent sooo much time on this already..........and I really need to get it done!

if there's another program I should do in instead, I might have it (paint? notepad?) but I'm not a computer graphics person or anything so I don't have photoshop or anything like that

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:33 PM

The best place to put in text would not be in Word, but in whatever picture editor you have. You can use Paint to insert text, but it leaves (as I remember) a white box on the picture; I generally use (free) Irfanview, which will allow you to insert text over the actual picture or graphic as well as other tasks.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 help!

help!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:31 PM

thank you for reponding!
I have infranview! but I only use it for one tiny little thing; so how would I get the drawing into there? scan it still? and then I can type the words right over the picture? just wondering if there's anything special I should know.................I'm not too good with this stuff!

thanks!
: )

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:47 PM

Step one is getting a usable image scanned into your computer, and that partly depends on what type of drawing it is. Simplifying - if it is like a cartoon (b&w or colour) you should use GIF format, if it is like a pencil sketch or painting you should use JPG format. You should be able to choose the format when you scan. Also the higher scanning resolution you pick the better the scanned picture will be, but at the cost of bigger and bigger files. Try something like 300dpi to start and if the picture is not good enough go higher. Save the file to a folder where you can find it easily, it probably defaults to 'My Document\My Images'. You can put it directly on the desktop if you want.

Step two is adding the words. Word assumes any image is rectangular so inserting it into the page and trying to type around it won't work. You can insert the image (the file you saved) in Word, resize it to almost fill the page (or as you want) and set the image wrapping properties so it is 'behind text'. Then you can type over the top of the image and just put in spaces or tabs so it skips over the wreath parts. Centering the text may help also.

Alternatively if you have the image in Irfanview you can insert text into it (preferably in a new layer), but you would only be able to do this one line at a time (at best) and I would imagine any editing would be very cumbersome.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:41 AM

Open the file with your wreath image (best to have it as a JPEG) in IrfanView:

Left click on an area for the text.
EDIT/ Insert Text into selection. Put the text you want into the box provided, making sure you check the box "text is transparent." Choose the font and size.
When you are satisfied with the changes, save as a JPEG.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 handplane

handplane

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:13 AM

Since you have Irfanview, this might help you:
1- right click on wreath
2- left click on Save Picture As
3- the image goes to My Pictures, click on save
4- open My Pictures, right click on wreath
5- select open with irfanview
6- in irfanview, from upper left corner of the open area of the wreath, left click, hold and drag open a rectangle box
7- select Edit, click on Insert text into selection
8- in new window select center, then choose font
9- select font and size, on bottom select color for the text, hit OK
10- in text box, type your text, hit OK
11- click file, choose save as
12- name wreath1, save as jpeg, click on save
13- image is saved to My Pictures

See sample below:
Posted Image

#7 help!

help!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:50 AM

thanks everyone............but I'm still having a LOT of trouble with this and can't seem to get it to do what I want. I was able to scan the pencil drawing(wreath), which I should really refer to as a donut, because that's exactly what it looks like, a large circle on the outside and a small one on the inside (it's from a picture of a wreath--but better described as a donut)

when I scanned it, I was able to save to clipboard, and open infranview and do edit, paste into infranview (which took me a while to figure out, cuz I didn't know HOW to get the donut INTO infranview) and I wasn't able to originally save it as "my picture" so I couldn't get it in that way.

anyway, in infranview, I see what you're all saying about drawing that rectangular box and was able to finally draw that box and insert the text; but, a few problems:

when I print, the print is teeny tiny, no matter what I set anything to, can't read the text

I would like to do what "hth" suggested and "type over the top and put in spaces, etc." to have it fill in the larger circle area, but infranview doesn't seem to allow me to actually type on that page, only insert text; I can't figure out how to edit the text I've inserted

I don't know anything about "layers" and if I have to I'm really in trouble...

when I scan the image, my hp I guess is automatically saving as a jpeg, so I guess it's doing that correctly (I have the deskjet all in one and use the hp director, and click scan, and you have to choose between picture and text I think.....

I'd LOVE to be able to have the text flow from the top of the donut down to the bottom, leaving the center hole empty, but I just can't seem to edit what's in infranview

I'd welcome and appreciate any more suggestions!

thanks!
: )

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:27 PM

This is what I got in word (a bit rough because I was rushing). Is that the sort of thing you were after?
If you can't read the text, which is the instructions, PM me and I will send you a copy.
Posted Image

Oh, and 'hth' is not my name, that's just shorthand for 'hope that helps' :thumbsup:
Rimmer.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:09 AM

.... BUT there may be a better way.... :thumbsup:

This has been niggling at me all day, the method I used before is a bit dumb - relying on inserting a lot of TABs and spaces which is just soooo tedious :flowers:

This time I copied some text into a new document, then using the Autoshapes toolbar (View>tools>autoshapes) I selected a 'Basic Shape' and chose Donut. Then I drew a donut where I want to put the wreath. Right-clicking on the donut and selecting 'Format Autoshape' and the 'Layout' tab. Select 'Tight' and 'Center'. I also clicked the 'Advanced' tab and set 'Absolute Position' to 'Page' so the graphic would stay where it's put despite editing the text. When you click OK the text neatly rearranges itself around the donut without you having to enter any TABs! Here it is:
Posted Image

I coloured the donut just to see what it would look like but when its in place you can change the fill colour to none and the line colour to 'no line' (using Format Autoshape again) and you will have a circular gap into which you can insert your wreath image. And here is my finished product:

Posted Image

I've enjoyed learning how to do this and hope it helps you. :trumpet:

Posted Image

Edited by Scarlett, 03 November 2005 - 12:09 PM.

#10 help!

help!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:08 PM

Hi Rimmer!

sorry about the hth (I'm still learning all these abbreviations!)

thanks for all the help....I'm just now checking back in on bc (bleeping computer!!) for answers, and I see you've posted a couple, I'm going to take a closer look at them tomorrow; but at first glance, the donut and wreath are fine, EXCEPT I want to type INSIDE the donut (not the very small inner circle, but inside the larger circle, know what I mean? )

I'm not sure, at first glance, any of those addressed that? I'll take a closer look tomorrow I guess!

but thanks so far for thinking about it!

bye! thanks! : )

#11 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:43 AM

Is this the look you are trying to achieve (its crude but im just trying to get an idea)
Posted Image

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#12 help!

help!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:21 AM

well.............we're getting closer...........

yes, text inside the circle, BUT text across, horizontally, as if it's just a regular piece of paper (but with donut "margins" like you have it!)

thanks!

#13 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 03:45 PM

Posted Image

rawsig.png

#14 help!

help!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:31 AM

yes, that's it, but the text would practically fill the donut (the area you started to type in) so how did you do that?

#15 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:56 PM

I use a program called "The Gimp" Once you have the image open in Gimp you can add text
to any part of the image. (even in a circle) :thumbsup:

GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.

It has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc.

You will most likely be using Windows so here is the link:
http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/
Be sure to read the FAQ's if you have any problems.
http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/faq.html

rawsig.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users