Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutting Down Computer At Night

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Cinoreah

Cinoreah

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:55 PM

Having been exchanging ideas and thoughts with several people on a message board about turning off your computer at night. Some say it's ok but others say it shouldn't be done. So I thought I would come check with the experts. LOL

I shut mine down and reboot several times a day depending on how much surfing I do. My computer is a few years old and I was thinking it might be easier on it to shut it down, but now these people have me thinking and wondering. Thoughts on this please? Somehow I feel I'm going to get the same answers here too. :thumbsup:
~ The Road To A Friend's House Is Never Long ~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:38 PM

By shutting down your computer for periods of prolonged absence, you not only save energy, but also clear out swap files, etc., without causing undue wear and tear on the computer hardware.
Regards,
John

Across the pond and in civilisation, incidentally, there is an effort to save energy and expence by asking people to turn off computer when not used- - - especially just before leaving work.

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article321720.ece

Edited by jgweed, 25 October 2005 - 01:54 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Cinoreah

Cinoreah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:08 PM

Thanks John....that's been my thinking as well. However, some were saying that it is harder for it to boot up from a cold start than leaving it on.

I recently had a new electrical meter installed while I was away and the tech had my son turn off my computer. When my son went back out side the tech said...."what the heck did you do? All of a sudden this thing (meter) just almost stopped!" Do these darn things use that much power?? :thumbsup:

Thanks

Cin

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:37 PM

It a complicated question, looking at it from an electronics point of view the components which make up your PC have a limited operating life therefore the longer you leave it on the more likely is a component to fail. However the maximum 'strain' on components occurs at the moment of switching on, so the more often you switch off and on the more likely it is for a component to fail.

So as I see it you have two options regarding the life of the system:
  • Put it in a dark cupboard and don't turn it on at all.
  • Use it whatever way suits you and don't worry about it.
Just make sure you make regular backups of your data, because it will fail someday (unless you choose option 1). :thumbsup:

Re: Power - back in the days of a 386 a PC used to use about as much power as a lightbulb. Now with Pentium 4's with the works it's heading towards consuming as much power as a single bar heater. Not an insignificant amount and perhaps a better reason for turning the PC off at night.

Edited by Rimmer, 24 October 2005 - 08:40 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:30 AM

It's a balancing act. You balance your need for immediate access (or constantly on) for the benefits of cost savings and the environment.

I leave one of my systems on 24/7 - it backsup information from the wife's office in the wee hours of the night. Otherwise they all get shut down to save on electricity.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Cinoreah

Cinoreah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:11 AM

Thanks everybody....

Since it seems, according to the power company tech that my meter slowed down tremendously when it was turned off, I will continue to turn mine off. I already pay an average of $200 (flat pay plan) per month so maybe it would be prudent to keep turning it off.

I had NO idea they consumed this much power!!!

Again....thanks to all of you for your input. I'm sure I'll be back with future problems and it's very comforting to know you guys are here when I need you. :thumbsup: :flowers:

#7 Freakshow_Coe

Freakshow_Coe

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:46 PM

Also on that note, It will not only save power by restarting the computer it is giving your computer the chance to rebuild drivers and the TCP/IP which is very important if you are downloading programs as well as installing them. I however leave my computer on but turn off my modem everyonce in a while. Also restarting the computer is extreamly usefull is there is a remote connection that is not wanted.

#8 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:56 PM

Yes, for Internet Surfing, it is a good idea to just restart your computer on a *once a day* basis, just to clean up the TCP/IP.

Another thing is the lifespan of the powersupply. I worked for the Canadian Forces and plenty of computers that have not been turned off in litterally YEARS came to me for a powersupply swap. And that is a couple of hundred waisted dollars.

My opinion? leave it on plenty, but get about once a week, give it an overnight rest.

#9 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:28 AM

Hi,

Is the system not more vulnerable for malware attacks when you leave it open all the time? Especially when you forget to log out as I sometimes do?

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:37 AM

If you have your firewall and anti-virus active at all times, Falu, then the amount of time you are just connected and not actively using your computer should have no bearing on your computer's security.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 03:40 PM

Hi,

If you have your firewall and anti-virus active at all times, Falu, then the amount of time you are just connected and not actively using your computer should have no bearing on your computer's security

If that were true how is it possible then that so many people, who are protected according to all the known 'rules'/principles, have malware problems? :thumbsup:

#12 Freakshow_Coe

Freakshow_Coe

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 03:58 PM

A lot of time it is not due to the software not working but to negligence of the user. A lot of time people do not update the Signature Files or are downloading a lot of programs without the protection on. Also the Firewall does not protect from adware / spyware / viruses which I find is a very big misunderstanding. However this is how we learn is from our mistakes. I prefer to tell the customers Learn from others mistakes as we do not have time to make them all ourselves.

#13 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:49 PM

Yes. Even if you have the whole EZ Armor suite or Norton, Spyware is a major problem. EVERY COMPUTER NEEDS ANTI-SPY!!!!

Here is microsoft's ANTI-SPYWARE... in my opinion, the best one out there, as it constantly running and protecting.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

*correction... EZ Armor has an included anti-spy called PestPatrol.. You have to pay for EZ Armor, but it is probably the best protection on the internet.

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:23 PM

Hi,

If you have your firewall and anti-virus active at all times, Falu, then the amount of time you are just connected and not actively using your computer should have no bearing on your computer's security

If that were true how is it possible then that so many people, who are protected according to all the known 'rules'/principles, have malware problems? :thumbsup:

People let them in thru presumed legit downloads. One example. Have you ever know someone to complain about a toolbar showing up without explanation? Spyware/malware/virus/spammers bury bad code in good software. Go to website X and try to play a game and they insist on you downloading a player you already have. You do it because, hey thats safe, after all it's already on my computer. Next thing you have a whole bunch of problems.

My daughter downloaded the Flash player then the Yahoo toolbar pops up.

It happens all the time and probably will happen to you if you receive emails, download programs, P2P files sharing. The place you download from may not even know it is distributing infected file.

The only defence is a good battery of counter software/hardware. Catch it as it comes in. Email scanner, spyware scanning, real time up to date anti virus and a firewall that will intercept the bad programs trying to transmit your information in the event it gets passed the boards of your LAN.

A good NAT router, even if you only have one computer on your LAN, is a smart move. A router will make your computers invisible to the internet. Make sure if you have a wireless LAN it is secure. Encrypted devices are a must.

And the most important of all... Make Bleeping Computers your home page just in case.

AVG Free Edition Antivirus(I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial
cCleaner
Sygate 5.4(I personally use)
Zone Alarm

Edited by acklan, 30 October 2005 - 08:25 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#15 Rogue4Twenty

Rogue4Twenty

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:35 PM

Don't Disregard EZ Armor:
http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=3243

it is hosted by CA, and here is a little about them:

Computer Associates International, Inc. (NYSE: CA), one of the world's largest management software companies, delivers software and services across operations, security, storage, life cycle and service management to optimize the performance, reliability and efficiency of enterprise IT environments. Indeed, our solutions touch many areas of everyday life, from ATM transactions to airport security to online sales, customer service and medical information.

source: http://www.ca.com/invest/reports/corpprofile/

Once again, you have to pay for it, unless you have noticed the advertisment from a supergreat undisclosed highspeed ISP (cable 5.0 mbps). Who does give EZ Armor for free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users