Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toolbar

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 clank

clank

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:50 PM

Hi,
I have windows XP with sp2 on my computer, on the bottom right of the screen near the clock I have several small icons for programs such as Quick time, Printer, etc,
Can anyone please tell me how to remove them,
I don't need quick access to them, I go into Customize Notification but it does not have the ability to remove them only hide etc.Any help please Clank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:03 PM

Right click on the TASK BAR (the bar to the left of the clock and to the right of the START button) go to TOOL BAR then uncheck QUICK LANUCH. That should do it.

Edited by acklan, 24 October 2005 - 02:05 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 clank

clank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:36 PM

Right click on the TASK BAR (the bar to the left of the clock and to the right of the START button) go to TOOL BAR then uncheck QUICK LANUCH. That should do it.

Hi acklan did as you said and unchecked the quick launch but they are all still there if I put the cursor on the little Chevron near the clock, the list expands with these icons there, Hope I am making myself understood, Thanks Clank

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:38 PM

Maybe uncheck them in msconfig.

If XP has that.
Posted Image

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:53 PM

hhmmm

Are you talking about the icons in the same box as the clock?

Edited by acklan, 24 October 2005 - 05:52 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 clank

clank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:04 AM

hhmmm

Are you talking about the icons in the same box as the clock?

YES, Clank

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:35 AM

If you have Spybot on your hard drive, you can use one of its tools to control what applications launch on start-up (and consequently dock themselves underneath the time stamp). Click on Mode and choose "Advanced" then expand "tools" to find "system startup."
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:42 AM

Clank,

These are icons related to programs that are currently running on your computer. Most of these probably appear when you boot up your computer, eh? If so, you can prevent them from starting by going to:

Start > Run
type msconfig
Click Ok
Click on the Startup tab

There you will find a list of programs that are starting when you boot up your computer. Simply uncheck any of them that you don't want starting. This will not remove any programs, it will just tell them not to start when you reboot. Some are more stubborn than others and may reappear.

If you need more specific help with some stubborn individual ones let us know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MORE THAN YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THOSE ICONS:

I put the cursor on the little Chevron near the clock, the list expands with these icons there

If you would like to control which icons are visible and which icons are hidden: right click anywhere on the task bar (usually a blue bar just to the left of the icons), click properties, put a check mark next to 'hide inactive icons' and then click on Customize... Here you will have the opportunity to tell Windows which icons you want to see and what icons you want to be covered over, or hidden, by highlighting an individual program and making a choice from a drop down menu that will appear to the right of the program.

Or, to remove the Chevron and prevent it from hiding icons, right click anywhere on the task bar, click properties, under the 'taskbar' tab uncheck 'hide inactive icons'. This will keep all of the icons visible all the time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 25 October 2005 - 07:03 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#9 clank

clank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:07 PM

Hi all
Went to msconfig start up there are about 20 programs in there most of which the names mean absolutely nothing to me except like onspeed, windows money and one or two others

went to my Spybot search and destroy it also has about 20 but the file names again look meaningless ( they would mean something to someone with more computer knowledge than me)

Very strange though the last two entries in msconfig start up look like nothing that resembles normal writing in the start up and command panell its like a row of thick IIIII and small O for both entries the location for both is HKCU\Software\Microsoft windows\nt\current version\ windows run (Top entry same for the bottom entry but it finishes load.) :thumbsup:

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:37 AM

Check all startup entries against the Bleeping Computer -> Startup Programs Database

You mentioned "QuickTime" in your first post. In my experience, QuickTime can be a tough one to get rid of in startups.
After a few tries it finally gave in. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#11 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:42 AM

Hi all
Went to msconfig start up there are about 20 programs in there most of which the names mean absolutely nothing to me except like onspeed, windows money and one or two others

went to my Spybot search and destroy it also has about 20 but the file names again look meaningless ( they would mean something to someone with more computer knowledge than me)

Very strange though the last two entries in msconfig start up look like nothing that resembles normal writing in the start up and command panell its like a row of thick IIIII and small O for both entries the location for both is HKCU\Software\Microsoft windows\nt\current version\ windows run (Top entry same for the bottom entry but it finishes load.) :thumbsup:

Well, you have to know what they are for before you prevent them from starting. Sounds like you have Spyware entries there too. Have you done a spyware scan? To find out what the items are for, you can always do a Google search for the file name.

#12 clank

clank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:17 PM

Hi all,
a lot to take in their

went to your Start up program database,
checked all the programs that I have in start up,
the only one that caused me concern was Rundll32. EXE. Windows. System 32 NVCPL,NV.startup,
according to your database this is part of a worm and needs removing,
I went on the Google search and to be honest became completely confused.,
does it want removing and if so how can I do it please, Clank.

#13 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:20 PM

I think you need to scan your whole system, not just look at one file. Try these basic security tests:

Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software because you should only have one running on your system.

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

See if that helps :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 28 October 2005 - 11:21 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#14 clank

clank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 04:24 PM

I think you need to scan your whole system, not just look at one file. Try these basic security tests:

Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software because you should only have one running on your system.

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:

Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

See if that helps :thumbsup:

Thanks Rimmer,

I have Ad Ware Se, Norton, Spy ware Blaster, Spy ware Search and Destroy, all ready I use theses regularly with up dates nothing found,

I downloaded and used A squared in safe mode, it found 16 malware files which I deleted, none the Rundll one on the start up program in msconfig, As I always do, I made a system Restore point before removing the items from A squared, After boot up from removing the malware a Squared brought up my computer would freeze within 5 minutes,
It did it several times
I used System Restore, and each time it returned the message System restore was NOT SUCCESFULL try another which I did without success, I checked and I have System restore turned on, I can't live without System Restore what Have I done , Help Please Clank.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 04:53 PM

Hi,
I have windows XP with sp2 on my computer, on the bottom right of the screen near the clock I have several small icons for programs such as Quick time, Printer, etc,
Can anyone please tell me how to remove them,
I don't need quick access to them, I go into Customize Notification but it does not have the ability to remove them only hide etc.Any help please Clank

The fact that they are in your taskbar...indicates that you have running at startup, which you don't need/want.

There are two programs (use one) that I can recommend to allow you to see what is running at startup and to change the status of same to whatever you want:

Autoruns - http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml is the one that I prefer.

Codestuff Starter, http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users